What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (2 Viewers)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Reminds me of a line from Dr. Katz. Might have been Ray Romano. "If women knew what we were thinking, they would slap us constantly."

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another mixed bag type of episode. So, the woman in Mexico was a plant. Now did Dr. King (Stephanie's boss) know that she had powers? I'd think her visit in much less the time to go down there and back by plane (and without any of the plane paperwork) should have verified this. But he only says to his henchman (his credit on imdb is "The Watcher") is that she is beginning to know too much. JJ's attempt on pretending to do online dating with Katie was really painful to watch. Of course it was a means to actually set up her dating The Watcher, who apparently does have a soft spot for the Powells - that is, he appears to want to protect them both from Dr. King and from other threats - such as this episode's mobster.

I am intrigued by where it is going, but there is lots of room for improvement with better writing and careful thought.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
JJ is the dumbest genius I've ever seen.

How did he possibly expect that fake on-line date to work? Sure he could woo her all he wanted to on-line but what was his plan when it came time to meet? For a second I thought he was going upstairs to make her a man Weird Science-style lol.

Gee, I don't know, it seems that Jim can avoid being seen in the future IF HE JUST WORE A FREAKIN' MASK!! That was actually quite irritating, Jim getting nervous about being ID'd when he brought it on himself by refusing to wear a disguise, it seems to me that he's bound and determined to be caught.

This show is just all over the place, it's up it's down it's good it's odd, it's the most schizophrenic super hero show in the history of mankind.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

Gee, I don't know, it seems that Jim can avoid being seen in the future IF HE JUST WORE A FREAKIN' MASK!! That was actually quite irritating, Jim getting nervous about being ID'd when he brought it on himself by refusing to wear a disguise, it seems to me that he's bound and determined to be caught.

This show is just all over the place, it's up it's down it's good it's odd, it's the most schizophrenic super hero show in the history of mankind.
Except this time he did wear a mask, but the mobster pulled it off of him.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, the idiot wore a regular ski mask, which was ripped off by the bad guy. He should have gotten a Beardski!

http://www.beardski.com/Store.html

The dating thing was incredibly stupid. And now, I suppose JJ's going to say, "Well, it's weird that this guy is pretending to be my fictional character, but she's happy so I won't say a word."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like how Daphne can essentially tap J.J.'s power by being in close proximity when he's using it. I also like that Stephen Collins's hit man seems to have his own reasons for protecting the family in general and Jim specifically. Otherwise, my continuing issues with the show remain.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I initially thought Daphne was "tapping into" JJ's power too, but she doesn't really learn anything. Rather, she hears what he's thinking, and is able to spout it out. As soon as she tried paraphrasing what JJ was thinking, she screwed it up. Luckily, her date didn't know any better.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation is that it's like tapping into a firehose of knowledge. All of the raw data comes pouring though, but she can't tap the part of JJ's power that would allow her to comprehend it. It reminds me of an experience I had in high school where I was paired with a girl with Down's Syndrome for a reading exercise for a health class that all students had to pass, special ed or otherwise. The girl was an excellent reader; put a text in front of her, and she could recite it aloud without pause and without struggling on pronunciation. But she had little to no comprehension of what she was reading. Daphne can "read" the data flying through JJ's head, but she's limited to a normal person's ability to comprehend it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think he just read the book and she heard him reading it in her mind, like he was reading it aloud. If he paused to give his opinion, he was "speaking" to her with his mind. I think it's as simple as that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Liked the episode. Daphne's efforts at enhancing her dating life, and extorting her brother something of a telepathic Cyrano, are amusing. JJ as an intellectual giant, but emotional midget, are completely plausible to me, and painfully funny to watch.

My wife and I took the "plant"'s behavior as actually the wife of the former doctor, and not solely an agent. But maybe that's so.

My frustration lies with Jim: his whole "responsibility" speech should have been met with "and you aren't taking any responsibility on your night prowls". He's worse than JJ in not getting the simple things.

I also wasn't crazy about the negotiations with the mob henchman. The DA's actions all but said, "yes we have a superman" by how he entertained and dodged the claim. The right reaction, because the idea of super-cop is so ludicrous, was to laugh at it, and blow it off as an attempt to get a look at the police roster in order to identify people for extortion and pressure by the mob. It was badly handled all the way.

And a minor note on Kate's (the assistant) lackluster romance: I always have to remind myself that her difficulties aren't unrealistic. It's always surprising to think that beautiful, intelligent women have a hard time meeting men. But I saw that during graduate school.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pretty preposterous stuff all around. The lip gloss, the surgery. But, it keeps being fun anyway. JJ is still the stupidest super-genius ever. The Katie character is my ideal woman, though. I'm pretty sure she would know that Wolverine isn't a 6'2" "sexiest man alive," but an angry, ugly little fireplug. I'll overlook the Edward thing.

They should probably make the teacher JJ's confidant. Either that, or before the idiotic grade change gambit, he should have said, "Look, put us in a room and come up with some new test answers. See what we do with them."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The actress who plays Katie kept bugging me because I kept wondering who she was. I kept thinking she is portrayed by Julie Gonzalo, who was in Eli Stone. But it's another actress. She just "feels" like the same person! The past few episodes I thought the stories involving the kids were more interesting, this week was better as it involved the far her, mother and son. The daughter finally got smart and was honest with the boyfriend.

John Swarce

Second Unit
The whole operation part had me rolling my eyes. A guy with a 3' long pipe in his chest is just wheeled out of the ICU? And Chaka can visit him in the ICU? As far as I know, only family members would be allowed in there. He is brought down to the OR, but it is closed (for some dumb reason), according to a security guy. But another doctor comes down to go into the same OR for a scheduled operation?

The DA's girlfriend recovered quickly from her gunshot wound!

Chaka hacks into the school computer system to change a friend's grade?

Why do they always show the mother moving really quickly when she only has to take a couple of steps to move to another spot in the room?

I really hope next week's episode turns the corner (looks like some actual battles will be fought from the previews), as this show is really starting to lose me. It has so much potential, but I really don't think the writers know what direction they should take it.

--John

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm a little confused about the exact nature of JJ's ability. Okay, so he can look at an accident and figure out how to pull out a piece of steel so that the rubble won't collapse but how exactly can he figure out how the piece of steel is lodged in a guys heart if he can't see inside? From the angle?

At any rate, the operation, I don't even know where to start so I'll just leave it alone lol.

Why can't I ever meet women like Katie, adorable, girly, goofy...and likes Lord of the Rings??

Another face palm episode but still fun.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Because their DNA was altered in different ways. That's why they all have different powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks