What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

It's goofy ridiculous, but at times fun. I laughed hard when the "bad guy" was flung down 5 stories into the windshield of an incoming car... and was alive.
That was the type of violence result I remember from Batman: The Animated Series. I was surprised to see it here.

Maybe I missed something, but I do find it hard to believe that a couple of days after the robbery with the ring, they found the ring at the scene of another robbery.

Also, it appeared that there were no super-powered bad guys in this episode. The wedding robbers just had technology and a planned escape on their side.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm trying really hard to get into the spirit of the show but I can't help but get hung up on the little details, like how can mom super-speed through her workplace, blazing past employees without causing any disturbance in the air? Her remarkable speed through the hallways would no doubt cause wind-swept havoc on anything not nailed down like papers, hats etc not to mention blow past people without them feeling even the slightest breeze?

Or how she can swipe the key card and replace the blood without slowing down?

Otherwise it was a good episode lol.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
They did sort of address the breeze from the super speed in the last episode. When the wife steals the keycard the co-worker she stole it from asks the assistant if the A/C just kicked on but you're right, the super speed should have more effect on her surroundings.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure the questions were rhetorical, and it was more about you having trouble getting into the spirit of the show. That said.. It has been shown numerous times that she caused a disturbance in the air, and papers have moved or fallen off desks. Does it happen everytime? I really don't pay attention. The only point for me is that she kicked into superspeed mode and did whatever. Got it. Then I go with it. The show had quite a narrative on how she needed to swipe the security card, but if she slowed down too much, she'd show up on camera, but if she didn't slow down enough, the card reader wouldn't pick up the swipe. How did she manage it? Beats me. I've forgotten. But at least they addressed it.

I could put together long list of things that "don't make sense" but in the real of superheroes, I think it's consistent within itself for the most part. They have not said anything yet about Michael Chiklis having super density in addition to super strength. For instance, if he stepped into a swimming pool, would he have to walk to the shallow end to get out? (Due to sinking to the bottom if he has super density.) Stopping a bullet isn't about strength in the traditional sense. It's either about density or tensile strength. If Chiklis had super density, he'd break chairs by sitting down, etc. He doesn't. That leads me to believe he has super traditional strength and super tensile strength (ability to withstand opposing forces). Which brings us to his super jumps and landing on buildings. You could drop a human being from a plane and it wouldn't damage the roof of skyscraper. Therefore his landings shouldn't damage them either -- unless he has superdensity (which we've ruled out). They could have addressed this easily by pointing out out he has trouble stopping and having them show him crashing into ventilation ducts, satellite dishes, etc. instead of leaving craters in the roof. But again, I just go with it. As I said, I could come up with things like this all day. Luckily, I've been able to mostly avoid even thinking about them and just go with it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Or that he can hit a baseball over the ocean without busting either the bat or the ball lol.

But it is a fun show and I enjoy it, I'm actually finding a lot of these problems amusing in a strange sort of way, they're entertaining in and of themselves lol.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I figured the wife should have superspeed disarmed the robbers at the wedding.

She probably could have, but she is against the crime fighting so I doubt it even entered her mind as a possibility.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I thought the same thing about disarming the robbers but she might of had eyes on her and to anyone looking at her she would have appeared to vanish.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Something is bothering me since the first episode (hardly the only thing, but a big one):

Why would a police sketch artist not cover his face when engaging in secret activities? He, of all people should know that people can be idintified by their face.

As for the wife's clothe and shoes, I believe the pilot estatablished that there was some kind of force field in effect protecting her and thing she is wearing/carrying from the speed.

Peter

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ep #3 was the weakest for me, thus far. I'm ok with the superhero physics: In what show or movie does it ever really hang together? But it didn't quite have the tension or humor this go round. The best section was the daughter trying to deal with her friend, thinking she's snooping on her stuff.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Peter Rohlfs

Something is bothering me since the first episode (hardly the only thing, but a big one):

Why would a police sketch artist not cover his face when engaging in secret activities? He, of all people should know that people can be idintified by their face.

I think they will address this in the next episode, judging by the preview.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I'm down with the suspension of disbelief, but the speed thing is pushing my limits. There was a T junction in the hallway and I'd love to see the super slow motion footage of her traversing such a tight right angle corner.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The whole football plot was a bit hard to take. There was just too much to disbelieve. It would have been nice if they had shown him practicing some throws with his father. One missed block in the game and he would have been toast. Given what his mother has discovered so far, I can't believe that she thinks everything he is doing is unrelated to a power.

I was glad that there was not a super-powered villain this week and given the right impetus and clues the police took care of the vigilante shooter.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
One throw and you are on the football team? As the backup QB?

Also, knowing how to throw and having the proper condition and strength muscles are 2 different things.

Peter

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Peter Rohlfs

One throw and you are on the football team? As the backup QB?

Also, knowing how to throw and having the proper condition and strength muscles are 2 different things.

Peter

Or knowing how to take a hit. Seriously, that kid takes one significant hit, and he breaks bones. I would have had an easier time believing he would get into baseball and could consistently get a base hit. I could buy that, where a part of the force is transferred from the pitch to the trajectory; but I found the football thing unbelievable. But it was a fun ep.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The kid could have been too short to be considered for basketball, but I would think his power to assess trajectories would help him sink the basket everytime and he might have a more realistic chance of joining that team. I also had a hard time believing he could be accepted on the football team, but perhaps football is a more mainstream sport.

As a side note, the kid actor played James T. Kirk in the new Star Trek movie, so I can't see the kid as anything else!

I had another thought about this show. It's very unlikely, but I sort of see it as an allegory to the human experience. Particularly the two kids, they are both growing up and as we do, we discover we all have natural "powers" or talents. And this is just them discovering them and how to use them to get through life. All packaged in the idea that they are super heros. The mother and father too. Though I am not following the mother's storyline too closely, but it seems she's just trying to figure out what was in the water. The father sees an opportunity to grow and help people.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The mom has concerns over the family's long term well-being. Her mission is to identify the source of their powers and correct the "problem".

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that the mother finally began to suspect the son having powers and then they all found out. I am also glad that they finished the football plot - that whole thing was really hard to maintain disbelief. The big question is what will now happen now that the father was seen by Rev. Camden's henchman. I think he only noticed him unconscious on the ground, but he has to have questions there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks