What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I enjoyed it overall and I laughed out loud more than a few times. The scenes up to the crash were a little too Disney Channel for my taste but it improved after that. The daughter annoys but maybe that is the teen angst talking. Hopefully she will be written a little more three dimensionally.

I don't know if I will be able to keep up with the show week to week but I will keep it in mind when I have some down time.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

As for why someone with the power to teleport is robbing banks with a mask in broad daylight, if we take what Nightcrawler said to heart, he can only teleport where he can see. There are distance limitations. So no teleporting inside bank vaults. If, when it closes, the bank gets locked down and he can't see inside, no teleporting even inside the bank. Either that or it's less expensive to shoot daytime scenes.

l didn't mean to imply that the monster of the week should have used his teleportation skills to rob banks since it wasn't established what he could or could not carry with him, but if he did have a power like this, why is he wasting it by robbing banks in broad daylight? Since he could teleport with a gun and wasn't adverse to killing people, he could have become a hitman at the very least. But no, he robs banks, specifically because it makes no sense. That way, they can surprise you with the reveal of his powers later. That is lazy, brainless writing.

And I can already see the glowing goop baddies coming week after week like the kryptonite MOTW in Smallville. Because that's the path of least resistance. And this is not a smart show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Enjoyed it. The pilot was rushed, cramming a lot of development into just one hour. It wasn't emotionally honest but it's done and the show can get on with its superhero antics. I'm hoping it continues to be fun.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's entertaining, but it's really pretty dumb. Superspeed isn't going to make the vacuum pick up dirt any faster than it normally can, and driving a car into a human brick wall is a good way to get killed. George is lucky Jim wasn't able to make the stop. I wasn't too happy with the rapid healing, but it's early enough that I can't say they're just dropping in new powers out of the blue.

If I was the kid, I'd have told the teacher to put a problem on the board and solved it in real time. Lot of unlikeable secondary characters, from this teacher to the PTA mom and her husband, who seems to be the cop who likes to ridicule Jim for being a sketch artist.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If only I could determine what makes for a successful show and put it in a bottle. I basically agree with everything Greh_S_H said above and I still like the show. And I generally hate stupid shows. Perhaps it's just something about a predisposition to grant comic book stories a lot of leeway. I've seen superman stand on the ground and catch someone falling from a building without the person being hurt. And even if you allow for the fact that he's not rigid, but "gives" during the catch, the person is still going from terminal velocity (say 120mph) to 0 in the distance of about a foot. Any way you slice it, that's some incredible deceleration forces. You just ignore stuff like that when reading/watching comics. Artistic license? Besides, it's a kind of innocent/fluff/family show. That's one of the things I like about it.

The secret is getting out quickly. Already a DA and a cop know. I'm not completely sure how I feel about the kid wanting to keep secret that he has brain powers so that his father credits his educational improvement to something other than superpowers. It seems an unnecessary secret, but he's a kid. I'll leave it at that.

EDIT: Typos

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The biggest thing that hurts this show is the husband and wife scenes. There's something especially artificial about them. The scenes with the husband off fighting crime work, most of the kids' scenes work, the lab scenes with the wife sorta work. Part of what makes the family scenes fall flat is that they've thus far just stood around talking about their powers. Once the powers become part of the status quo, we're likely to get slightly more interesting family drama.

I do like getting to see the superpowered flubs, the kind of things that would be ironed out in a five-minute training montage in a movie but can be an ungoing journey here. In a way, the daughter's storyline is most interesting to me. We've seen shows about strong, bullet proof people before. We've seen shows about superfast people before. I'm not sure we've seen an ungoing series about a high school girl that can read minds. I really liked the scene at the end where she was beginning to figure out how to filter thoughts, and you hear all of these serious problems that all of her classmates are going through boil up to the surface. Talk about developing empathy for others.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'd settle for husband/wife dialogue that doesn't have the wife stating matter-of-factly that upon meeting a criteria of her choosing, she's going to "make" her husband give up the only thing that's made him feel special in a long time (his powers). Just once I'd like to see him stand up to her (assertive, not aggressive) like the adult he is instead of acting like another of her children. However, it's consistent writing. He's a pushover at work too.

Superhero flubs? DId you like The Greatest American Hero?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

The secret is getting out quickly. Already a DA and a cop know. I'm not completely sure how I feel about the kid wanting to keep secret that he has brain powers so that his father credits his educational improvement to something other than superpowers. It seems an unnecessary secret, but he's a kid. I'll leave it at that.
Just the DA now. The boy obviously isn't naturally smart, so his mistakes at using his new mathematical (& more?) understanding is believable. I wonder what else he can learn. The show has been fun and I think halfway through the season things will be quite a bit different than they are now.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Fun second ep but I do agree that the scenes between the husband and wife is very clunky and sounds recycled from a million things I've heard a million times on Smallville but otherwise it's a fun show.

I'm wondering how the wife escaped a 600 MPH wipe-out on pavement with only minor scrapes, since she doesn't have super strength that should have effectively peeled most of the skin off of her body but ah well, it's a TV show.

And could the kid's teacher be more of a dick?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by NeilO
Just the DA now.

I'm not sure about that. The actress was only contracted for the first two episodes, and I won't miss the character in the slightest, but I think they left the door open by having the guy not watch the execution. If they decide to bring her back, one of the other supers could easily have gotten to and saved her in that moment.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I like it so far.

The actress who plays the wife is creepy. I didn't even recognize her.

She seems to have altered her face everytime she appears in another show or movie.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
That bothered me too, although I was more bothered by her use on stiletto high heel shoes. 600 MPH and not a broken heel or worn away sole. Of course I've always wondered why Clark Kent's shoes were not worn away after one of his cross-country runs. Maybe Mrs. Kent made him special shoes.

Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
I'm wondering how the wife escaped a 600 MPH wipe-out on pavement with only minor scrapes, since she doesn't have super strength that should have effectively peeled most of the skin off of her body but ah well, it's a TV show.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Regarding the shoe issue, I always assumed that with Clark he runs so fast that his feet cease to even touch the ground, I mean going that fast your bound to get airborne even if it is just an inch or two.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even though this show still had serious problems, each episode has been better than the last. Characters are slowly starting to emerge from the cliches.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I think I'm an episode behind. Too many shows backlogged on Tivo to keep up. My wife was hoping NOF would get worse so we could stop watching. But it's still enjoyable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm reminded of the Buffy episode "Earshot" where she nearly went mad because she could hear everything people were thinking.

At least they've given her the ability to turn it on and off.

It's goofy ridiculous, but at times fun. I laughed hard when the "bad guy" was flung down 5 stories into the windshield of an incoming car... and was alive.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by mattCR It's goofy ridiculous, but at times fun. I laughed hard when the "bad guy" was flung down 5 stories into the windshield of an incoming car... and was alive.

Too bad Jim didn't see that, chomp down on a cigar, and say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks