What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'll be hopeful with the title.

ABC has put up the first episode on the website now, as a preview:

http://abc.go.com/watch/noordinaryscreening

password: extraordinary

I actually enjoyed this a lot more then I expected too. Good cast. And, I generally like it when the kids aren't too much of a wiseass and want to do the right thing. We'll see how the scriptwriting goes, but some good stuff.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Anyone checking this out [edit] next week? How was the preview? Looks pretty interesting...particularly with the two leads from "The Shield" and "Dexter."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Preview was good. I was surprised that I enjoyed this. It is lighthearted fun, but it is fun. I think the one thing I appreciated about this is that the kids aren't smarmy wise-asses who are willing to beat up their parents. The whole group in this show tends to act like a family with some issues, but in general, they all seem to be fairly positive.

It sounds silly, but look at how many TV shows are on where a family is generally positive without a lot of external "we hate you" "I'm a bitter kid" kind of thing. I found it kind of refreshing.

It's not 'great' but it is definitely something I put on my season pass, as the performances were good and it is the right mix of light hearted fun

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised how tin-eared the dialog was, considering that Greg Berlanti is responsible for one of the best family dramas ever with "Everwood", but other than that I enjoyed it. I'm definitely in for episode two.

Just FYI, the premiere in next Tuesday, not tonight.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I've seen it and definitely enjoyed it enough to re-watch it tonight.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved every second of that pilot, it had the feel of Sky High and The Incredibles and the comic whimsy of The Greatest American Hero lol.

Plus I think I can put my fear to rest going in, that this show would become as convoluted as Heroes, the tone is much more comical than that show was so I think they'll keep it simple.

I wonder why that bullet was able to penetrate Jim's head, though? Maybe because it was such a large caliber weapon and it was at such close range?

Great effects for when mom runs, too, it's almost the same as when Clark runs on Smallville but with more motion waves and a golden glow.

The bad guy teleporting was a nice surprise and the way he did it was identical to how 'Nightcrawler' did it in X2.

Can't wait to see more of the Powell family do their new-found stuff.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Since people seem to like it, I'll refrain from my true thoughts on this show. All I'll say is, Mr. Chiklis...I hope you got paid.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pretty good, but any show associated with Marc Guggenheim usually doesn't turn out well. At least, not in my opinion. I'll stick with it for a while, though.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The link to Sky High is a good one. After you made the link, I think I can say what this show is: This is kid/family friendly TV. And there isn't a lot of that on the air right now. This is the kind of show I can watch with an 11 year old and a 9 year old and hopefully not worry too much about. Mild action, general mayhem, but nothing that I'm rushing to cover the kids eyes or ears on.

Maybe it's not others cup of tea, but i wish there was a lot more programming that harkened back to "family around a similar TV". Heroes kind of had that in Season 1. But heck, as much as I may enjoy a lot of programs, we're really low on ones I could watch with kids who enjoy the whimsy, mild action and fun.

I remember watching "Knight Rider" "Greatest American Hero" .. even a bunch of sitcoms at my kids age. Right now, I'd watch "Modern Family" with them, but most of the sitcoms delve into things I wouldn't feel all that comfortable watching with a 10 year old, or things they just wouldn't be interested in.

Cosby in the 1980s? Appointment TV. Heck, the mild sexual innuendo on "Cheers" looks incredibly tame in comparison to almost any episode of most sitcoms (Cougar Town as a prime example).

So, if ABC wants a somewhat disney-fied superhero show that is light fun I'm in. My kids enjoyed it the first time, so did I, and so it might end up a DVR that gets watched when they want to because it's that kind of fun.

And trust me, if you're chosing between say, this and "Wizards of Waverly Place" (which actually isn't all bad) this is a nice change of pace.

Then again, I keep wishing they'd bring back Disney Presents...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Uh... that was terrible. Like, way worse than Heroes, and about the same level of Smallville. Horrible dialog. Cringeworthy family scenes. The way they revealed their powers was so uninspired and unoriginal. Although the conceit was that they were talking to a therapist, the whole "talking to the camera" thing is stale now.

Romany Malko is the only part of the show I liked. Hated the kids. Hated the co-workers. Liked some of the effects. It's a shame because I did want to like this.

Oh, and if you can teleport, why are you robbing banks in broad daylight wearing a mask? Just so half baked and done with zero thought. Which is what reminds me of Smallville.

I'll watch one more, but that's about it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From the promos I thought the daughter was played by Amber Tamblyn. I figured that can't be right, she'd be too old.

I thought it was a promising pilot. Liked the shot of the father jumping off the building, because it felt like the shot in Heroes where Peter (is that his name?) tried to see if he could fly. Looked like the same location.

The only thing, how can the mother explain or hide destroying that track and the father creating all those craters? I was sure he's fall through the roof of that building. But I know it's all part of the fun. And this was for fun.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a nice start. I like that they did question some of the aspects of the wife's running even though they had absolutely no explanation for it. It appeared that his landings from the jumps were more controlled as he went on. JJ's power was nice for him. It didn't look like he revealed it yet to his family. I was disappointed that the wife's boss was a bad guy. I'm interested in where they are going from here. It looks like it could be a fun ride.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I just got around to watching it. Thankfully, I liked it. It's not love at first sight, but I didn't want the time back either. Heroes had a much darker and complex landscape. This is fluffy, and I can see comparing it to Smallville. Except I enjoyed that one episode of No Ordinary Family more than all but the standout episodes of Smallville.

As for why someone with the power to teleport is robbing banks with a mask in broad daylight, if we take what Nightcrawler said to heart, he can only teleport where he can see. There are distance limitations. So no teleporting inside bank vaults. If, when it closes, the bank gets locked down and he can't see inside, no teleporting even inside the bank. Either that or it's less expensive to shoot daytime scenes.

I still don't know the rules for mind reading (the adults have their powers mostly under control, the kids seem much more sporadic). Maybe it had to do with being slightly sleepy while watching this, but it suddenly occurred to me that having a kid being able to hear all their parents' thoughts is kind of creepy. For instance, what if the parents are thinking about making out, or even basking in the afterglow? Luckily, it's a family show. No kid deserves that rolling around in his or her head. If you can choose when to read minds, that'd help with that issue (and many similar ones).

So far, it's staying on my recording list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks