No or low sound from Dialouge when using digital connection

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Fredrik.se, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Fredrik.se

Fredrik.se Auditioning

Hello,

First of all, being new to this forum, I'd like to say Hi and thank you for all the coming support...

I'm on a long road to converting a cheapo HT system (SM electronics Supervision 2500 DVD-player, no-name active sub+surround speakers with analouge-5.1cinch connection) to something less cheap.

I started by getting a Pioneer vsx-1014. Since the supervision is blessed with EVERY connection imaginable (including analogue-5.1 connection) I figured a digital connection to the receiever may give the best results.

And indeed, after wiring it up and starting Star-Wars episode IV the special effects sounded REALLY nice (previously the DVD was wired directly to the speakers via cinch)
    BUT: NO DIALOUGES! (or really quiet)

Any idea where I may start looking for errors?

Setup as follows:

DVD Audio settings:
    Dolby digital: PCM
    DTS: Raw
    MP3: PCM
    Others: PCM
    Dolby Pro logic: AUTO
    Subwoofer: ON

Connection:
    DVD: Digital-Cinch out
    1014: Digital-cinch in (slot 3)
    1014: Analouge 5.1 out (6xcinch)
    Speakers: Analouge 5.1 in

Reciever settings:
    too many but i RTFM and think i got it all right.

Now to circumvent this, I fixed analogue dvd exit to the reciever and the result is quite well.. unfortunately i then can't use all the advanced options of my new reciever.

So.. How do i get dialouges via my digital connection. Any hints?

thanks
    Fred

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Its one of two possible things.

First try it changing the DVD player setting for Dolby digital from PCM to Bistream, then disconnect any analog connection from the DVD player to the receiver leaving only a single digital audio line.

Second, make sure your center channel speaker connection is working. The easiest way to do this is to find out how to activate your receiver's speaker test tones so that noise is sent to each speaker one by one. A cartoon on the front of the receiver shows which speaker is supposed to be playing. Make sure the center plays about as loud as the rest.

3. Fredrik.se

Fredrik.se Auditioning

Thanks Brian,

Changing to bitstream (I guess thats what my DVD calls "raw") did the trick. I knew the center worked because I previously used the automatic calibration feature.

So as a newbie I'd of course like to know why it worked.

Thanks
    Fred