No Onkyo 595 - what instead?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Tressler, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Hello all!!

I cancelled my order for the Onkyo 595 - I ordered it direct fron Onkyo back in December.. was supposed to ship "at the latest" January 10.. well that got bumpled to january 20, then the end of january.. then first week of february.. then second week of february.. and finally, end of february.. I said screw it... then after reading about the possible discontinuance of the 595 I decided to can the order.. something just didnt smell right..

anyway I had it narrowed down to the Onkyo 595 and the Denon 1802 - I really dont want to go with the denon .. any suggestions of recievers that are comparable to these two that I may check out?

thanks!

jim

2. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

You can always go for the kenwood 509 or 510.

I decided to wait, for now until April when the new ones are supposed to come out. It is not guaranteed of course but I figure they have to get something out quick cause the longer it takes to come out the more money Onkyo will lose.

I would buy one if for some reason one turns up at a good price or I'd consider a floor model, but it'd have to be at a killer price. If you can wait I'd suggest you wait another 2 months. I know it's tough as I am in dire need for a reciever but what can you do?

3. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

eric, good point... i have waited this long, whats another few months [​IMG]

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

What's wrong with the Denon? What does the 595 have that it doesn't? (Except maybe the crappy Denon remote). I've listened to both and decided to go with the 1802 because of the pre-amp outs, adjustable DPL2, and build quality. There really wasn't much to go on since both are superb receivers in their price bracket (in fact, the best).

Reg

5. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

[​IMG] Just thought I'd add to this thread that I've had my Onkyo 595 for about a month now and am super happy with it. The 75 watts is very clean, Pro Logic II is very neat, and the learning remote is easy to program for all my other remotes. What actually is the bad feedback out there on this receiver? Haven't heard any yet.

6. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

sorry for the extra large font. Don't know how that happened.

7. Rhys Frost

Rhys Frost Auditioning

No problem. [​IMG]
    bahh, mine won't go that large.

8. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

9. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

The worse feedback with the 595 is the audio drop out problems. The Denon suffers from this as well though. Hmm the Denon has adjustable PL2? The things holding me back on the Denon, is mainly the interface. I prefer the Onkyo. Still though, considering that Onkyo hopefully will have the new models by April it may be worth the wait.

I didn't hear too much of a difference between the Denon and Onkyo though.

10. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

FWIW I have Onkyo 595 and a Denon 1602 and I can not detect an audible difference between the two. If you can not get the 595 I think the 1802/1602 are both fine alternatives.

Nick

11. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Check out an HK similiarly priced model. For 2 channel music, the others dont compare.

12. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

I too was going to go with the onkyo 595, but they are in short supply everywhere. I ended up buying my dealers floor model of the Integra 5.2 for $450. List on the Integra is $600 so you could probably swing a deal for around $500 if you try. From everything I've read the Integra 5.2 is the same as the Onkyo 595 with better quality control and a beefed up power supply. So far I really like it. See if you've got a local dealer willing to move an Integra since their new models are probably coming out soon as well.

just my .02