What's new

No Onkyo 595 - what instead? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all!!

I cancelled my order for the Onkyo 595 - I ordered it direct fron Onkyo back in December.. was supposed to ship "at the latest" January 10.. well that got bumpled to january 20, then the end of january.. then first week of february.. then second week of february.. and finally, end of february.. I said screw it... then after reading about the possible discontinuance of the 595 I decided to can the order.. something just didnt smell right..

anyway I had it narrowed down to the Onkyo 595 and the Denon 1802 - I really dont want to go with the denon .. any suggestions of recievers that are comparable to these two that I may check out?

thanks!

jim

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
You can always go for the kenwood 509 or 510.

I decided to wait, for now until April when the new ones are supposed to come out. It is not guaranteed of course but I figure they have to get something out quick cause the longer it takes to come out the more money Onkyo will lose.

I would buy one if for some reason one turns up at a good price or I'd consider a floor model, but it'd have to be at a killer price. If you can wait I'd suggest you wait another 2 months. I know it's tough as I am in dire need for a reciever but what can you do?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
What's wrong with the Denon? What does the 595 have that it doesn't? (Except maybe the crappy Denon remote). I've listened to both and decided to go with the 1802 because of the pre-amp outs, adjustable DPL2, and build quality. There really wasn't much to go on since both are superb receivers in their price bracket (in fact, the best).

Reg

Ray Kammer

Agent
:) Just thought I'd add to this thread that I've had my Onkyo 595 for about a month now and am super happy with it. The 75 watts is very clean, Pro Logic II is very neat, and the learning remote is easy to program for all my other remotes. What actually is the bad feedback out there on this receiver? Haven't heard any yet.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
What actually is the bad feedback out there on this receiver? Haven't heard any yet.
The only ONKYO 595 I have heard really disappointed me. It was my brother-in-law's. He just got it for Christmas and we were watching Pearl Harbor. It had severe audio drops in DD. I wouldn't spend all of this time, waiting for this unit. I bought a Kenwood VR 507 instead. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It was quite a bit less expensive too.
I guess I wouldn't buy anything with a known problem, no matter how large or small. That is just me. :) There will probalby be plenty of people tell you that it is not ONKYO's problem with the audio drops. It just happens to ONKYO, Outlaw and a couple other's though.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
The worse feedback with the 595 is the audio drop out problems. The Denon suffers from this as well though. Hmm the Denon has adjustable PL2? The things holding me back on the Denon, is mainly the interface. I prefer the Onkyo. Still though, considering that Onkyo hopefully will have the new models by April it may be worth the wait.

I didn't hear too much of a difference between the Denon and Onkyo though.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW I have Onkyo 595 and a Denon 1602 and I can not detect an audible difference between the two. If you can not get the 595 I think the 1802/1602 are both fine alternatives.

Nick

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I too was going to go with the onkyo 595, but they are in short supply everywhere. I ended up buying my dealers floor model of the Integra 5.2 for $450. List on the Integra is $600 so you could probably swing a deal for around $500 if you try. From everything I've read the Integra 5.2 is the same as the Onkyo 595 with better quality control and a beefed up power supply. So far I really like it. See if you've got a local dealer willing to move an Integra since their new models are probably coming out soon as well.

just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks