No one talking about Maximo yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What's up with that? I expected there to be a few threads on Maximo. Anyone playing it right now?

I've only had a few minutes with it and it sure looks good!

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I would buy a couple extra controllers, as you will definetely break a few in the process of playing the game. I haven't gotten to play it a whole bunch as I have been busy moving, but I soon plan to spend some quality time with it.

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

It's getting luke-warm reviews from places like Gamespot. If it's anything like Jak & Daxter, it's a must as far as I'm concerned. THAT was a great game.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I wouldn't really compare it to Jak & Dexter... It's much more of a 'hardcore' 2D platformer in done in 3D. Very punishing at times from the little I've seen/played.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I have Maximo, partly due to the initial praise heaped on it, and in spite of the backlash that followed.

I'm working on the second 'world' already. The frame rate, battle system and overall graphics and presentation are 'rock solid' for the most part. The menu - consisting of a circle of tombstones around which you rotate - is pretty neat, very 'arcade-ey.'

This is the sort of game that forces you to really learn tactics and techniques for all the levels. Nowadays we are weaned on games that allow you to save at any point and consist of small increments of trial and error. With Maximo, having to start over is frequent and frustrating, but it forces you to learn the lay of the land and the best techniques for battling skeletons, zombies, etc without being killed. Luckily, the game is relatively linear, with lots of hidden areas in each level.

At the end of each world, you are given 3 choice: Do you 1) save your game? 2)upgrade your armor? or 3)receive a 'kiss' from the sorceress? Getting all the kisses results in some kind of reward upon finishing the game, but it also denotes playing through with very little save help.

Each world starts in a level that eventually leads to to level 2, the HUB world, from which you can access the remainder of the levels. The hub world also contains the Boss for that world, who you cannot gain access to unless you've passed all the peripheral levels. There are also 'save pools' located in these hub worlds, which do allow you to save, but I have not yet figured out how to work it.

The graphics are clean, crisp and smooth, like a nice stout, and the gameplay simple and addictive. The occurence of puzzles (at least by the end of the 2nd world) is slim thankfully, and the emphasis is on simply progressing from point A to point B.

I am really enjoying Maximo... I never thought a 3D game would re-teach me the kind of gaming patience I used to have on the NES, wherein losing your continues meant starting from the beginning.

There is a button for re-orienting the camera, but it does feel awkward having to press it to reposition yourself when surrounded by 'baddies.'

The movies you unlock can be re-viewed at any time from the main menu (a plus), and you can purchase many upgrades and special items. You can even buy monogramed and 'POW' boxer shorts to replace the heart ones you start the game with!

Underwear --> Armor, no helmet ---> Full suited armor ---> Gold Plated Armor, 20 second time limit ---> ???

Fun, fun game, but only for the patient gamer.

Joseph

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

7. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I've been working on this and SoE for a few days now, and so far this game blows me away. I love it.

I'm only on World 2, but the game is kicking my ass. And you know what, it actually feels kind of good.

With the amount of 'save anywhere' games out nowadays, I've forgotten what is was like playing Super Ghouls N' Ghosts on the SNES and having to figure the levels out down to a science in order to advance. And when you finally do beat a level, you feel as though it's a huge accomplishment.

The graphics, music, and sound effects are all quite good too. I like listening to the skeletons march our 'hut two three four' for some reason.

Maximo has turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

Jason