1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No one Buying Onkyo Receivers Anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Feb 6, 2003.

1. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Hi Mark. I wasn't comparing the Integra DTR-7.2 power output with the more expensive Denon and Yamaha receivers. I was comparing the power output of recent Onkyo and Integra receivers with previous Onkyo and Integra receivers. Sound & Vision magazine tested the TX-DS575X (rated by Onkyo at 70 watts per channel) in the November 2000 issue and measured Dolby Digital performance of 70 watts per channel with all channels driven (1 KHz into 8 ohms) and stereo performance of 79 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 132 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

Except for power output, I'm still impressed with the performance of Onkyo and Integra receivers. Sound & Vision's measured performance of the Integra DTR-7.2 equaled or exceeded the Denon and Yamaha receivers in tests other than power output, and the Integra is a fraction of the price of those other receivers.

I have an Onkyo TX-DS898. Mark, would you care to remove the cover of your Integra DTR-8.2 and compare components?

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I own a 676 and absolutely love it. For build quality, sound performance, useability, remote, reliability, it has been unsurpassed by any other receiver I've tried (ranging from Pioneer to H/K). Alas, the lack of 6.1 processing has the receiver relegated to 2nd house duties. Interestingly enough though, I always look forward to spending a night or 2 in my second house.

Seeing as how the 676 performed so wonderfully for me...I tried out the 700 for my primary house. Wow, what a dissappointment. I only had it for a day, and it might have sounded better broken in, but it could not drive my NHT 2.5i's sufficiently. Everything sounded very weak and feeble. And overall, it felt very flimsy...kinda hard to describe, but more like my current Pioneer VSX-D811S than my old 676. I returned it the very same day.

I have the feeling Onkyo is going the way of Sony and Panasonic...Japanese Electronic companies that made superb equipment with excellent components and build qualities in the 80s but have now turned into a glorified RCA in this new age of disposable electronics.

3. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark LP

Mark LP Stunt Coordinator

Darryl,
    You are correct. The attached cord could be of the same quality as a detached. In general, all the attached power cords I've seen are no better than lamp cords.
    Interesting note. I'm borrowing a rotel cd changer this weekend. Same Kawasaki detachable power cord on my Integra 8.3 dvd player.

Stephen,
    I think that would be a great idea. I think that you and I are not the only ones that would get a kick out it.

Mark

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Here are the values of a few of the components in my Onkyo TX-DS898:

2 large filter capacitors near transformer
    15000 µF 71 WV nichicon CE 85°C LQ (M)

Transformer
    NPT-1420D Onkyo 75N003HDLPB TAM M 0129

Power Cord
    18/2C (18 gage 2 conductor)

Any suggestions for other components to check?

6. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I just sold my Onkyo 575 to a friend. I really liked it but I want 6.1 now. After reading all of the negative feedback about Onkyo receivers in my price range, I will be getting a different brand this time around.

7. Mark LP

Integra

Power cord

16 gauge/ 2 conductor/ 13A/ 125v per kawasaki web page.

I'll open it up tomm for other specs.

8. Mark LP

Stephen,

I got to looking under the hood today.

Power supply wire internal: 16gauge
    Power:has the same numbers as yours except two things
    SW2301532 TAM M0132 (Don't know relevance)
    Large filter cap:same numbers except
    Made for integra and N0124 repeated on one side
    Fan:Nider Beta SL D09T 24PG10 (under and behind manual on/off)
    Heat sinks:roughly 9"widex6"hx3"deep x2
    Threee general resistors:1/2" B0121 blue
    1/2" B0127 blue
    1/2" M127 black
    near speakers outs:Nais ALA2F24 Spule 24v

I noticed that Integra rates the 8.2 at 110w @8ohm and the Onkyo at 100w @8ohm. Where could we double check that?

Mark

9. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

>Power supply wire internal: 16gauge

Onkyo transformer primary has 18 gage; secondary has various sizes.

>Power:has the same numbers as yours except two things
    >SW2301532 TAM M0132 (Don't know relevance)

SN2301532 TAM M 0129 on Onkyo (I don't know either).

>Large filter cap:same numbers except
    >Made for integra and N0124 repeated on one side

Onkyo caps also labeled N0124.

>Fan:Nider Beta SL D09T 24PG10 (under and behind manual on/off)

Nidec Beta SL D09T-24PG 10

>Heat sinks:roughly 9"widex6"hx3"deep x2

8 3/8" x 4 11/16" x 1 15/16" measured across fins to nearest 1/16".

>Threee general resistors:1/2" B0121 blue
    >1/2" B0127 blue
    >1/2" M127 black

I haven't found these.

>near speakers outs:Nais ALA2F24 Spule 24v

Relays, same on Onkyo.

>I noticed that Integra rates the 8.2 at 110w @8ohm and the Onkyo at 100w @8ohm. Where could we double check that?

The Onkyo is 110 w/ch into 8 ohms.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?p=...lass=receivers

From the Onkyo TX-DS898 instruction manual:
    Continuous Average Power output (FTC)
    All channels:
    110 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion.
    145 watts min. RMS at 6 ohms, 2 channels driven from 1 kHz with no more than 0.1% total harmonic distortion.

10. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I held my former 898 in such high regard that when I finally upgraded it, I skipped the Integra line all together and jumped into $4K worth of separates.

11. KevinKW

KevinKW Auditioning

I first started with the 696 over a year ago and just recently upgraded to the 797. No problems with either and I have been very happy. The amp powers my paradigm monitors with very little effort.

12. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I have the 797 that does have the dropouts. How long does it take for Onkyo to repair?

This unit replaced a Denon that had replaced an Onkyo Integra TX-88. The power on that baby was great. I found the 797 to distort at louder volumes (55+). I have Klipsch Reference speakers, Kimber Kable speaker wire and interconnects. I have added a 5 channel 150WPC amp and it does not clip anymore. Perhaps I was asking it to do too much.

I will say I am considering the Denon 4802 or 5800 or 5803 as I think the Denon is "crisper". Call me crazy but that's what I think.

13. Russell Chase

Russell Chase Auditioning

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-DS700 from Aperion Audio as part of a package deal w/ their speakers.

When I took the receiver out of the box I noticed a dent on the side panel (about the size of a car door ding). There was no corresponding dent in the Styrofoam nor the box, so it must have occurred at the factory.

What this tells me is that Onkyo's quality control must be lacking, which may be the cause of the stories people have been mentioning about this brand.

I decided to simply get a replacement receiver since I got a good deal with the package purchase. Aperion got the replacement to me in a day.

Other than this QC issue, the Onkyo sounds great. I've used cheap Pioneer and no-name brand receivers in the past and the step-up to this mid-range receiver is a "night and day" improvement even using my old speakers.