No NHL 2K5 fans?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James T, Sep 1, 2004.

1. James T

James T Screenwriter

I didn't even know this was out already until my friend called me today and told me about it. Of course I had to pick it up.

Some quick observations aout the game is that it might be a bit buggy. Out of the 3 games I've played so far, twice I've seen the vid where the guy was sent to the box after the penalty was over(along with commentary of course). Also, the puck seems to bounce a lot more often. It's like playing with a tennis ball, not a hockey puck. And although the goalie AI seems to have improved, they seem to only look straight ahead, so those high bouncing pucks are out of their vision.

Small gripes to a good game...and same great price as NFL 2K5

2. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I didn't realize it was out already. Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going to pick it up, especially for that price. It's xbox live enabled right? Can't wait to kick some but with the Lightning. [​IMG]

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

yes, it's live enabled, but I haven't tried it out yet. I was surprised at how early it came out. I guess they wanted to take advantage of Cup fever(World Cup, that is)

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yeah, I would like to hear some more opinions too. I picked it up a couple of days ago and only got to play it for around an hour or so. First impressions of it are not that high for me. I am not impressed with the graphics or the players faces. They really don't look like the players.
    Gameplay is okay, but I feel there are too many buttons to press to do different moves. I don't like all the spearing and slashing calls. I am seeing those type of calls 4-5 times per game. How often do you really see these type of calls. Especially spearing. Also on penalties they hardly ever show the replay. Commentary is also off. They are not talking about the right plays or players or teams sometimes. Also when it goes to a cut scene after the puck has been covered up by the other teams goalie, all of a sudden your players are at the other end of the ice and the commentators are talking about a player that was not even on the ice. I have also heard a lot of Aebischer is not taking any chances he covers the puck when it is the opposing teams goalie covering it up.

Another thing I do not like at all is when you accomplish a certain goal during the game it pops up on the screen and makes an issue of it. I hate that. It is kind of like what EA was doing a couple of years ago. I don't care what to see it during the game, at the end of the game I can see what goals were achieved. I just don't know about this years version, in fact I have been pretty unimpressed the last couple of years with ESPN's NHL series. NHL2K3 was so good. I will play it and tweak it some more this weekend but so far am pretty unimpressed. I wish I would have rented it. I don't know how they can get it so right with NFL2K5 and be so off with NHL2K5, it seems to me that they just haven't put the time and effort into the game in the past 2 years. I also thought that last years version was pretty weak.

NHL 2K3 was their best year. They absolutely blew away EA's version away. EA hockey got to be a joke but I think they woke up after ESPN's 2K3 came out because they totally rehauled the entire game and IMO made the BEST hockey game ever with NHL 2004. So I am very anxious to see what EA does this year with their hockey game. If they just tweak and improve on what they had last year then theirs will be the better hockey game. I am addicted to NHL 2004, I am in my 4th season and am still loving it. The only thing that I am not happy with anymore is the fact that I am too good at it. I was 57-0 on the season but then something happened, I lost two games in a row. So now am 59-2. Any way I know I went on for a long time but let me just wrap it up.

Impressions of 2K5 are pretty mediocre right now. I would say 6.75 out of 10 or [​IMG] [​IMG] 3/4 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] score right now. I am anxiously waiting for NHL 2005.

5. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

"First impressions of it are not that high for me. I am not impressed with the graphics or the players faces. They really don't look like the players."

Agreed, but that may be due to the 3-D crowd.

"I don't like all the spearing and slashing calls. I am seeing those type of calls 4-5 times per game. How often do you really see these type of calls."

Lower them in the settings menu. A couple like boarding and interference can be raised also.

"Commentary is also off. They are not talking about the right plays or players or teams sometimes. Also when it goes to a cut scene after the puck has been covered up by the other teams goalie, all of a sudden your players are at the other end of the ice and the commentators are talking about a player that was not even on the ice. I have also heard a lot of Aebischer is not taking any chances he covers the puck when it is the opposing teams goalie covering it up."

Hockey is very fast-paced so that may not be able to be done until next-gen. But I am aware of the bugs or when they get the power-play teams mixed up. But what other game comes close? It's just as fluid and smart as the football game.

"Another thing I do not like at all is when you accomplish a certain goal during the game it pops up on the screen and makes an issue of it. I hate that. It is kind of like what EA was doing a couple of years ago. I don't care what to see it during the game, at the end of the game I can see what goals were achieved."

Challenge Notification - Switch it off.

"NHL 2K3 was their best year. They absolutely blew away EA's version away. EA hockey got to be a joke but I think they woke up after ESPN's 2K3 came out because they totally rehauled the entire game and IMO made the BEST hockey game ever with NHL 2004."

NHL 2K4 was a step down, 2K5 is by far the best in the series because the goal variety problem that has plauged the series since it began is finally gone. Sniping is actually possible(not enough, but can be done). The computer doesn't press you like mad during power plays. The sliders actually work. I'd give it more time before giving up on it.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

Why should this be a problem with a 2005 version of a game when it has worked better than Jeff is describing in past years? That doesn't make sense.

Besides, there's a huge difference in experiencing a delay in commentary as opposed to talking about a player not on the ice or naming the goalie on the other team. Those are bugs that take away from the enjoyment of a game, just like in real life when the announcer says something on national TV that you know is incorrect. Very distracting.

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was just wondering, what does the realism in the players faces have to do with a 3-D crowd?

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

That's true, but consider how much less this is going to sell compared to ESPN NFL 2K5. I don't think Kush is as big as the football team or at least have less resources, I could be wrong though. I could see them doing a highlight reel along the lines of the pro evolution series, but no more than that. And the commentary bugs aren't an issue imo, look how far it's advanced since 2K3. Rarely do you get real life announcers to dedicate so much time to a video-game because of their hefty schedules. You will RARELY find sports games that have gameplay and presentation that go hand in hand, especially a hockey title where the audience is low. Or look at fifa and winning eleven, which game devotes more to presentation and authentic leagues and which emphasizes gameplay? Many of the nagging gameplay problems in the series have finally went away, which is more important to me if the commentary and cutscenes aren't buggy.

9. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

This was an impulse buy for me. I had not bought a hockey game since NHL 2001 and the first ESPN hockey game I have played. I have played about 5 games, now have it on the pro setting and getting challenged though I make lots of dimb mistakes. Here's some initial impressions:

-I thought EA did faces better years back
    -not impressed with the cut scenes, seems like the same fans from every Sega game go the every game
    -I don't like that when you import songs they always play in the order from the menu; they should randomly play
    -I am still getting used to the controls but they seem fine
    -wished there was more ESPN presence (stats and stuff)
    -commentary is OK. I am an ESPN junkie so to hear the familiar voices is kinda kool
    -the flow of the game is fine with penalty adjustments
    -starting franchise-coaches are expensive
    -gameplay is great; have to keep switching lines, can feel the difference between good players and avarage ones, have to learn some offense and defense

Although it sounds kinda negative I am having fun with the game for now. I may have to drag this thread out after I play a little longer.
    -

10. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Picked this up yesterday and have only played a few games, but so far I like it. Spent most of the time trying to update the songs they play at The Tank. Gotta love custom soundtracks!

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay, so maybe I was a little hard on the game with my initial review. Okay, I was real hard on it. With a lot more play time and a lot more tweaks to the game, I am enjoying it a lot more now.
    After playing EA's NHL 2004 religiously for a year,it was hard to get used to the controls for NHL 2K5.

So anyway, here are some more impressions of the game.

Positives
    1. Gameplay. The gameplay is stellar. It is for the most part very realistic.
    2. Gameplay
    3. Gameplay
    4. Gameplay!
    5. Goalies reaction to the puck. I love how he poke checks it to the side of the net.
    6. Wraparounds into the offensive zone.
    7. Custom time powerplays. You can customize how long you want the powerplay to be in real time.
    8. So far pretty challenging. No money goals that I have found yet.[/list=1]

Oh, and the commentary is not as bad as I thought it was. Pretty accurate.

Negatives,
      1. GRAPHICS! Man, the graphics are not good at all. The players faces are the worst I have seen in a long time.
      2. The jerseys look crappy. Names and numbers on the back look pretty bad.
      3. The goaltenders. They look like they weigh 300 lbs. Too overbloated and bulky. The pads look too square. And the helmets are too big.
      4. Some checking is too unrealistic. I am have a guy go over the boards one to two times per game. How often do you really see a guy get checked into the benches? And the checks where you bend over and the guy does a flip over you. It happens way too many times per game.
      5. Wish both the game clock and the powerplay could be slowed down to real time like it is in NHL 2004.
      6. They felt the need to make everything shine on the ice. Like helmets and stuff. I don't like it.
      7. No 4 minute double minors.
      8. This is minor but in between periods where the coach and players are meeting in the locker room. It is completely empty. There are no Avalanche logos no names for each locker space no equipment no nothing. [/list=1]

So in all, it is a fun challenging game. I am anxiously waiting for Ea's NHL 2005. If they can improve some things about last years version then they will have a winner in IMO. But the gameplay has to be realistic like it is with ESPN's version. We will see. So my review of NHL 2K5 is 8.0 out of 10.
        It seems to me that this title is unpolished and was rushed this year and the time,effort and quality control is missing. If they could have got a few minor details right, it could have been a much more rewarding experience. Like the graphics!

12. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

on your #5 negative, go to the options and check real time. It also gives you the option to turn on real time in the last minute of gameplay if you go with accelerated time.

On #4 negative, turn down the hitting power on the sliders.

13. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I put about 30 hours combined offline and online, and I can safely say imo this is easily the strongest hockey release right beside NHL 94' and 98'. Nothing, nothing comes close to replicating the little things about the sport as ESPN NHL 2K5. 2K3 was close, but the goalies and control brought it down. 2K4 was a huge disappointment, 2K5 does everything 2k4 promised and more. The computer doesn't penalty kill like they are on a power play anymore, the hitting and more importantly the amount of hitting is spot on with the some slider tweaking(which WORK - except pass acc. for the computer). The camera zoom is back and makes running a realistic offense much less of a hassle. The REALLY great thing about 2K5 is skill also matters online. So even though the speed is at the blistering 5 if you use proper strategy and angles you can shut people out. As far as the offline game, again what more can you ask for? Mini-games(haven't got to that), franchise, dream team and skybox make it impossible to run out of things to do. Got to close this up and get back on the ice, this game is truly amazing(something I seldom say about sports titles).

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Manuel,
    So if I have the game clock set to 7 min accelerated and have the powerplay set to 1:30 both clocks run at 1:30 real time? I thought the game clock still continued to tick at accelerated time. Please clarify. Thanks.

And I am with Damien on this. Although I have not spent 30 hours on the game, I have spent about 6-7 hours. What really has made this game truly great is the sliders I found over at www.espnhockey.net
    If you go to the sliders discussion forum look at the sliders that Pengman19 suggested. They make this game so realistic. This is easily the best hockey game ever made. Last year was a huge disappointment,maybe we were expecting too much because of what they gave us for 2003. But anyway, they have made up for it big time! I'll bump up my rating of the game to an 8.5. The only thing that really stops me from giving this game a 9 or 9.5 and the game from being spectacular is the presentation and the graphics. They are still horrible. I don't understand how they got everything else right and messed that up. I think they looked better in 2K3. All the faces look the same.

On a side note. How about team USA! That Tkachuk,Guerin and Modano line is SICK! Go team USA!

15. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

If you have the clock set for accelerated time then the power play will also be accelerated. One suggestion for you, extend the time of the power plays which will give you a little longer PP.

Manny

16. James T

James T Screenwriter

ARGH!

I just hit a major bug in the game. I'm half way through my season and it freezes during the loading screen(in the calender).

I went to ESPN's message board and found an eleven page long thread to this. Turns out, INJURIES ON triggered this bug and if you are in the same situation as me, your franchise game is considered corrupted. They are working on a patch, but I don't know if I have to start a new season or not.

17. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

This is a fix I saw at OpeartionSports.com:

Go to rosters and find the team that has a problem. It is ususally too many dressed. Then, go to editing lines, find that team, and have the CPU adjust lines. Go back to rosters and see if that fixed it. If that did not fix it, check which player is dressed on the roster and not on any lines. You have to trade for that player. It sucks that you have to do this but somehow you have to get that guy off the roster to for the franchise to continue. I had to do this myself this past week.

Good luck

18. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yeah, I ran into this problem myself. This is the second time it has froze my season halfway through. The second time I went through all the editing and still froze my franchise. And to have to go through all of that just to try to fix the problem is ridiculous and unacceptable. I enjoyed NHL 2004 and will go back to playing that. Better luck next time Kush. I will be returning NHL 2K5 as a defective copy. The company should let you send it back to them for a full refund.

True hockey fans seem to get screwed a lot. If they only put in the effort like they do with the football titles. It's a shame, I feel that the hockey games get thrown together and not a lot of effort is put into them like the football games. I don't understand why they can have NFL 2K5 and Madden 2005 so dialed in and have some pretty major flaws with the NHL games. It sucks! [​IMG]

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

And I was about to start a thread about a college hockey game. I would love to play as my CC Tigers! But that is a pipe dream, they have to get the NHL games right before they can do a college hockey game and it seems that they are having a hard time doing that.

20. James T

James T Screenwriter

I saw the fix(it was cut n pasted on the ESPN message board). But try trading a player for Marion Hossa!!! Grrr! There is no guy on the leafs that will do a straight up trade. There is no free agents(or combination) that will do a trade. Even with draft picks and talent, there's still no hope. Even the big guns packaged still didn't move Ottawa. I guess Toronto is filled players that are both too old and too expensive.