What's new

No More U.S. Philips Article and Possible Ramifications (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
I read a good article on Philips last night. Dutch parent is giving U.S. CE (Consumer Electronics) Division 3 yrs to turn things around. If it doesn't happen, Philips will pull out of U.S. market.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/011218/l18222972_1.html
Possible Ramifications:
* RPTV's. I don't think any dealers have waiting lists for Philips RPTV's, if you know what I mean. No biggie here.
* Plasmas. I believe Philips was first manufacturer with a consumer plasma in U.S. market. However, a Philips plasma does not currently seem to be "the one to own." That title is passed on a weekly basis between models from Panasonic, Fujistu, and Pioneer.
* CD Recorders. Again, I believe Philips made the first "affordable" ones for us. But, now there are several good brands to choose from. I am not too familiar with this product. Again, I don't think it'll be much of a loss.
* The Pronto! Yes, the Uber Remote. If this comes from the CE division, and I'm guessing it does, that would mean NO MORE PRONTOS! Yikes! I can hear many people getting nervous now.
* Marantz. I believe that Marantz is an independently run sub-division of Philips. But if Philips U.S. goes bye bye, then maybe Marantz as well? Oh my. More nervous people. I know for a fact that there is a loyal customer base to this brand.
Any thoughts?
Rich B.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
As far as I know, Marantz is no longer affiliated with Philips. They split earlier this year if i am not mistaken. Marantz is a stand alone company once more(I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks