What's new

No more Superbit...? (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
With the advent of Blu Ray, does this mean that Sony will no longer re-release stuff in the Superbit format? Given that double-dipping is a given (for me) on BR (we all know that the initial releases will be bare bones, and that special editions with even better PQ will show up), and that I do not intend to touch HD until at least 2nd gen, I have no intention of slowing my SD purchases. Indeed, it actually saves me money, and I get the extras that are not ported over to the eventual HD release due to rights issues. I sill want the best quality that HD has to offer (not to mention the DTS soundtrack). Specifically, I am looking at "The Legend of Zorro". Should I wait, or is a SB Deluxe release merely wishful thinking at this point?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Why do we expect that the initial releases will be barebones when all the extras were already compiled for DVD?

I don't think that's the right stance to take at all, from either consumer or studio perspective. I'm not suggesting that eventually the technology won't be improved and the reason for upgrade will be nonexistant with HD & BD, but there is nor eason for any barebones releasesof films that were already issued on DVD. Even new releases are rarely issued barebones nowadays when they first appear on DVD, so to assume that is senseless.

I'd expect just the opposite, especially if the studios expect people who have already purchased these films, to rebuy them and "upgrade" to the more expensive format.

The term upgrade is key, and in this case, it refers to mcuh more than just audio and pq. There's no reason anyone would want to spend more to sacrifice what they already have, even at the cost of much improved picture and audio. In order to "upgrade" and rebuy a film, it should be presented in a way that would warrant that.

So I strongly disagree that anyone should expect double-dips with BD on the basis of early barebones releases alone. The reason this was the scenario with standard DVD was entirely different because we saw the existance of a completely new and experimental at the time, format. The studios had not yet grasped the market which is now so plainly laid out for everyone.

So no, I don't think and hope that we never see reason to double-dip as a result of manipulation on the studio's behalf by issuing barebones transfer of existing titles in high-def.

Remember that even for new releases, standard redbook DVD will continue to exist (in a higher selling format I shoul add) alongside HD and Blu Ray. So in order to compete, I would expect that whatever is featured on DVD A. should obviously be carried over to HD-DVD/BD B. It's going to be hard to convince a buying public to spend more on the high-def format which only offers a movie trailer against the exact same film at a discounted price which is offered on the same street date in a fully blown-out Special Edition.

But as for the concept of the Superbit titles... I see no reason anymore with the advent of high-res and storage capacity of BD. The studios could achieve equal results.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Marco,
Good points, all. From a PQ POV, look back to the initial "Red Carpet" releases for SD DVD in '97. One of the first titles was Tim Buton's Batman, which at the time looked absolutely fantastic. After seeing the recent SE, we see how far SD has come. I really believe that will be the same with HD. Regardless of the inclusion of extras, double-dipping based on PQ alone is inevitable (again, for me). Besides the fact that I am waiting until HD-DVD finally sees the writing on the wall and folds it's tents, as well as 2nd gen players (at least), I am actually saving money by getting the SD editions in the meantime. I would rather spend $15 for the SD version now, and then $30-$40 later on the HD SE, then $25-$30 on the initial HD now (even though I don't yet have a player), and still spend $30-$40 later...

As for all of the existing supplimental stuff being ported over, that is not necessarily a given. Look at all of the stuff still exclusive to LD due to rights issues (not to mention between differing SE DVD releases). This is getting better, as studios plan more for multiple releases, but I think sometimes they do this on purpose to encourage multiple purchases (of which I am guilty... :b)

Unfortunately, I also think you're probably right about Superbit...

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I imagine Sony will mostly release bare bones type blu-ray discs at first, due to them being Mpeg 2 and only 25 gigs. That way when they ramp up 50 gig productions they can sell us super collectors editions. Of course they could always use 2 blu ray discs, which is what I'm hoping for.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The other possibility is dual sided discs with high definition on one side and standard on the other, for single inventory. The only problem here is the potential of damage, much like DVD-18s.

RAH

EricW

Senior HTF Member
with regards for the future of superbits: the market will decide. they probably don't cost much to make, and the cirtical mass needed to make them profitable is probably pretty low. i'm guessing it's more a question of opportunity cost.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Superbit is irrelevent now with HD on the horizon. Even if a bunch of titles came out it would be too little too late.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You mean they won't be purposefully making the "regular" editions crappy anymore just to make the "Superbits" look better? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks