What's new

No more P&S DVD only at Blockbuster (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
Fortunately, we have a locally owned video store that started carrying DVD's over 3 years ago and has always carried the OAR movies.
That's all good and well, but what you may not relaize is that Blockbuster is the only video rental chain that has enough clout to sway studios into releasing only P&S DVD titles, period. This could cause all retailers including your local video store to only stock what is available. And if Blockbuster has their way, that will be P&S only.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I sent a short but bluntly worded message to their email:

Stock widescreen or lose my business.

I can't think of anything else they care about.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
According to SteveK, this is not a corporate policy, but either individual stores and or areas, so I have a feeling that any letters to corporate will not do any of us much good.

I saw a BB ad the other day that showed the widescreen version of JP3. Unless there is a disclaimer on the bottom of the screen (that all stores may not carry all items), then we would have something to complain about.

Glenn

DarrenA

Second Unit
Here is the reply I received from Blockbuster today...

Thank you for your e-mail. Customer feedback is very important to us and we are glad you took the time to write.

The movie studios determine whether or not to release their DVDs in standard (full-screen) or wide-screen versions. It is our preference, and the preference of our customers that because of the versatility and storage capacity of DVD

technology, DVDs include both versions on one disc. In the past, when the studios have chosen to release separate standard and wide-screen version DVDs, it has caused confusion amongst our customers. To minimize our customer

dissatisfaction, we have chosen to carry only one version of a title on DVD, and our research has shown that more customers prefer the standard than the wide-screen version. We take your comments and suggestions as a welcome show of

interest and loyalty. We are forwarding your comments to the appropriate department for their review.

At Blockbuster, we realize that nothing is more important than our members are and we value your good will and continued support. Thank you for your interest in Blockbuster. If you need further assistance, please contact your local Blockbuster store. Our employees are empowered, authorized, and expected to take care of customers.

Sincerely,

Blockbuster Consumer Services

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Darren, that is the exact same response I received today too...word for word. I replied with this

"Actually, I think you are further confusting the customer by stocking the pan and scan versions as they are the exception right now. Most of the DVDs coming in for rent are widescreen only, and by carrying the pan and scan versions of those titles that have both versions the customers are becoming more confused as to the benefits of widescreen and the loss of image that pan and scan does."

I am a store manager of a Blockbuster and this angers me because it goes to show my employer is destroying the best thing about my hobby. I voiced my opinion to my boss and the two people above him, all the way to the regional Vice President in person. I explained my take on it and they agreed with me. They are just as angry as I am at it, but they seem to have no control over it. I am at least trying to get half and half of dual releases, that way I can satisfy everyone. (Personally, I would rather cram OAR down peoples throats...wait, I do on a daily basis.)

I ususally talk a few people a day out of buying our used Grinch's because they are P&S. Turned three people to the local Best Buy today alone.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
After reading all the posts here and on other forums, I believe that someone should gather all the information (r-mails and replies, store customer support mis-information, store contacts, ...) and do the following:

1. When talking to a store clerk/manager that provide you with mis-information (e.g., zooming fullframe to widescreen without picture loss, ...), get the persons name and store location. Post here.

2. When talking to customer support by phone,e-mail, provide a copy of the conversation here, in detail.

3. When receiving e-mail replies from BkBr that does not pertain to anything that you sent them, provide e-mail sent/received here.

4. Keep tabs on regional differences, e.g., why do some BkBr stores carry WS and others do not. Does not make sense based on information from BkBr that their policy is to carry only P&S when separate releases are provided and then BkBr all over the country are different in what they receive.

Once we can gather all this information, we can then package it all up and provide it to CORPORATE only. Forget the middle men.

This can also be provided to other forums interested in this topic.

Once this information is gathered we can provide it to BkBr and other web-sites, in order to protect the dessimination of the information. That way it can't be misconstrued by BkBr when the information is posted other places.

BkBr's policy makes no sense. To try and pin this policy on the studios is ridiculous. The studios basically care less what is order by retail stores/chains. This is not like in the days when VHS revenue sharing prevailed. The studios won this war AGAINST BkBr when they tried to force DVD rental only windows prior to sell-thru windows. The studios basically feel that the profit return from DVD sell-thru is greater than the amount that BkBr can provide. The studios are quickly learning that the VHS revenue model DOES NOT work for DVD - which is what they wanted in the first place. That was one of the winning arguments for DVD that the studios wanted for a long time.

When talking to BkBr employees and store managers, I have found that the only informtion they have is what is being told to them from the top.

It seems BkBr keeps quoting market research -- but does not mention when that market research was done - nor in which regions that research was done.

Demographically, the DVD rental/retail regions are different throughout the US. This MUST be taking into consideration ion ANY market research - and it seems - in my opinion - that BkBr is only considering middle America. High technological regions rental/purchasing is different from other regions of the US where people do not have access to the new 'toys' as readily as other regions. This MUST be taken into consideration. This is not to slam any one region over another - there of course are exceptions to every rule - but I cannot believe that every region should be in the ration of 100%/0% P&S/WS ration.

It is very difficult to determine the ratio of P&S/WS that BkBr should purchase, but that is what a good company should do. By not doing this and keeping the ration to 100%/0% P&S/WS, provides a disservice to it's customer base, and in my opinion - in violation of their membership agreements.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Don't forget email is pretty easy to ignore, don't forget to print off your letters and post them to BlockBuster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks