What's new

No More Hometheater Stuff!!! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've had people come into my house astounded by the how serious I am about my music and home theater (relative to them, at least). They don't understand it. To them, it is not a practical expense. Of course, they spend money on things I would never buy. As other have said, it comes down to one's priorities. I go into their homes and can't understand how they can live with the stereo set-ups they have. Of course, I am talking about people with nary a CD at hand and who have their speakers blocked by junk. Music obviously isn't a priority to them. :rolleyes::)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
:D Check this out. I was talking to this cool guy at work, we were talking about movies. We got on the subject of the Matrix 2. He said he'd never seen the first one
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

So I told him OMG, please don't watch this movie for the first time on anything under at least 32" and a 5.1 setup. Then he said don't worry I have a 2.0 setup with pro-logic on a 27":eek:

So I said he has to come and watch this movie at my house, I mean I barely know the guy. Him and his wife are homebodies. He even tried to get it from blockbuster said they had both rented out the dvd and the vhs. What's a VHS? I'm disparate for him to watch this at my house 65", 5.1 DD. I just went ahead and lent it to him. Hopefully later on he'll come to my house I'll pop it in for him and he'll see (and hear) what he was missing.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
About a week ago, I bought a pair of music speakers right? Nothing too extravagant as I too am a poor student. I got my tax refund and have been shopping them for a while now so I finally just made a decision and did it. Got a pretty darn good deal too. Anyway, I drive an older car that is paid off. It is very presentable and very reliable. Pretty quick for an old dog too. Most important, I have the title with no car payments now while I'm finishing up in school. When I told my girlfriend that we had some new towers on the way, she couldn't believe that I would spend that kind of money on speakers when I drive an old car. Keep in mind that my car is really not that bad at all and I quoted her only half of what I really paid for the speaks, totally my money anyway. She goes on and on about how nice it is to be driving her 2001 whatever and that I am not improving myself by investing in audio equipment. OK. This little debate lasted for a few hours, untill we both had to go to work. We go our seperate ways and all the while, I am kind of bugged by what she has said. I am not really the type to question myself but was she right? Should I have put that money down on a car? About an hour before my shift is over, I get a phone call from my one and only. HER CAR WON'T START! Can I come and get her. Do you people have any kind of idea how hard it was for me to maintain my composure? I say now, to those of you who can truly appreciate this, HAH! I made a good decision. MM:laugh:

MarcVH

Second Unit
I've pretty much reached the point where I don't think I'll be spending much more on hardware, simply because I've reached what is (for me) the point of diminishing returns, at least on the audio portion of my system.

Still, it came together slowly. I never spent money I didn't have, but instead it was more like "Oh, I got a tax refund. I'll buy some matching surround speakers, and save the rest"

As a hobby, HT gear has a key advantage of it being something which can be enjoyed every night of the week and twice on Sunday. It's also reasonably cheap to operate. If I lost my job, I might stay home in my underwear every day for weeks, but I could finally get around to watching every movie I own.

Aside from sleeping, watching TV is probably the activity people spend the largest fraction of the time at home doing. As such, it's worth a few extra bucks.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Mike...I hate to say this, but your girlfriend is only thinking about how she looks here. She wants a boyfriend who drives a nice car, because that makes her look better in her friends eyes. I might be wrong, but i don't think so...but heres a point of reference for you. i work in a town here in vermont that is known for having ALOT of very wealthy home owners..most houses cost several million dollars and are bought and paid for in cash, by writers and actors and the such moving out of the rat race and coming to enjoy the peace and wuiet of Vermont...and maybe its because they are trying to "pass as vermonters" but i don't think so, its more because here noone tries to impress anyone else...i see millionaires all day long driving 10 year old pick-ups. Meanwhile i see people working in retail stores driving 35 thousand dollar SUV's working overtime to make the payments. So don't let your girlfriend pressure you into buying something you don't want.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Bravo Mike, bravo..The way I look at it. I spend far more time at home than I do in my car, so getting the car doesn't bug me as much. I only drive from home to work to school anyway, so there ya go.

As the title of this thread reads, I'm done. I've taken my sound as far as I'm gonna. According to Phil, I'm there, it's respectable, so I'm satisfied. Finally.:emoji_thumbsup:

Only thing now is the damn display.:angry: My once beautiful 65" wide-screened-hdtv-powerhouse, has fallen like the mighty Casey.:frowning: I need to get it ISF'd and pretend the screen burn isn't there, or buy a projector. Then I should be completely done, I don't see why I would want something else.:rolleyes

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I don't see why I would want something else.
C'mon LaMarcus, you will always WANT something else, you just need to have your priorities straight! For example:

Last year I moved into a new home. I needed an HT setup in the basement. I needed dual SVS 20/39 CS+ with a Samson 1000. However, upgrading to dual SVS Ultra's is simply a want! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about HT equipment is that it's SO gratifying. How many other products do you buy that give you so much for your money? Just adding a subwoofer changes an already impressive HT set up to another step up in the mind blowing experience. Next, add a HUGE tv and you're practically overloading the senses (in a good way) :)

On a side note, (to those who say that you could spend money on clothes) I heard a comedian make a comment about MTV cribs where these 'one hit wonders' go and spend all their money on lavish clothes and stuff, then he mentioned Bill Gates and said something like "Bill Gates makes more money than anyone and he dresses like a farmer" :D

LewB

Screenwriter
Let's see, I can spend my money on a car which looses value the second I take possession of it, costs me more money in insurance and upkeep, and then eventually starts to rot away from under me.
I can spend my money on clothes which can be damaged or stained by any number of things, will go out of style in months and will shrink (I never gain weight, my clothes just shrink somehow) :wink:
I can spend my money on jewelry which might appreciate over time but if I have too much, I can't wear it all at the same time, or if I do I might be concerned for my personal safety (sad but true).
Or, I can spend my money on home theater equipment which will most likely not break after the first 90 days (mechanicals are always a wild card). Will retain some re-sale value if I take care of it. Will always provide me with a great listening/viewing experience if I chose wisely.
In my opinion cars clothes and jewelry are stuff you buy to get the world to look at you and are frequently not worth the cost. Home theater gear is stuff that you buy to please yourself, not the rest of the world. It's a hobby to be enjoyed like any other. The only problem that I can see is the search for the 'perfect sound', I hope I never find it.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
What really sucks is being into: home theater, car audio, video games, and then buying cds and dvds too. Don't know how I've gotten all that I have gotten.

I think what helped me was the "sell the old, buy the new" mentality. I usually don't like to part with my stuff. (especially nice gear) Pretty much in 2002, I completely redid my home theater and system in my truck. So everything is pretty darn new.

I would like and HD tuner, Adcom surge protector, and a dvd player for my truck. :D Oh, and a second SVS of course. Unless I went with dual Tempests... Damn these hobbies!!!!!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
My friends and I came up with a great idea. If we won the Powerball lottery of course. Have a vehicle with a plasma screen for the winshield. Sit there and play Gran Turismo 3 on it. With a really nice system, don't know what kinda home subs. Maybe SVS? :D Replace the steering wheel with the Logitech racing wheel and peddles. I think it comes with peddles. But I'd be going 150-200mph while trying to change cds, making my friend grab the wheel. Man that would be killer.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
One can only dream about such luxuries. Even better, your very own F15 Eagle with a plasma windshield playing Star Wars Starfighter while flying over the Pacific, on auto pilot of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks