No More Hometheater Stuff!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LaMarcus, Feb 16, 2003.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Do you feel HT has taken over? I do. One of my homeboys stayed over my house last night and made the comment, " with all this stuff you buy, you could have all kinda clothes and jewelry"

It's just so strange that you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on HT realated material and don't really realize it. It's just like it gotta have the stuff.

I'm going to try VERY hard not to buy anything else HT for a long time. This will be very difficult. Anyone else reached this point?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Being a student and having a budget theater with videogames to play with I realize I could have bought a pretty nice used car. But I'd be driving around in it all day because there'd be nothing to come home to. [​IMG]

3. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I guess I would if I actually cared about having more clothing and jewelry, but since I don't, I'm not about to let what anyone says bother me. Maybe it will hit me when someone points out that what I'm driving is a wreck (which isn't the case at the moment) and yet I've spent a few thousand on HT gear and DVD's in the last six months. Until then, my friends can spend their money for clothes and jewelry, but they'll always know where the place to catch a DVD is...

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I feel ya on that man. It was like I could have got a Navigator, or a whole new sound system for my theater...guess which one I bought.

You make a good point Marshall, they always make the comment when ever a big fight comes on, or superbowl or what ever, "I know who house I'm gonna watch that over".

And for the time being, HT was the priority, I wasen't too interested in that other stuff. But what trips me out is I used to be. And the money would have went a lot further with that other stuff.

5. Marshall W. Carter

Well, I guess it all comes down to this: You can't take any of it with you, so you might as well use some of it on things that will make you happy while you're here. I understand what you're saying about priorities though; plenty of things can become an obsession if you let them. Perhaps one obsession in life is a good thing though [​IMG]

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'm in the process of saving for (and paying for) my wedding this September. I haven't bought any HT hardware for awhile, although I do stick to my "no more than one a week" rule for DVD buying. Fortunately, for Christmas, my fiancee got me a 5 disc progressive scan dvd changer [​IMG]

7. Marshall W. Carter

Yup, that's how you know you've met "The One" [​IMG]

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

It's your money, spend it as you see fit ! If you are not skipping the rent or other necessary stuff to feed your HT habit then enjoy yourself. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The beauty of a HT: It can be enjoyed nekkid!

12. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I've gotten this from some family members and it annoys me quite a bit. Instead of buying a tv, receiver, dvd player, and movies you could of had a nice down payment on a car. My reply to them was well instead of taking all these expensive trips around the world you could have paid off your car. Or maybe if you bought a Toyota instead of a Lexus you could have taken one more trip. Another person asked me the same and I asked them how much money they could have if they didn't spend so much on cigarettes.

My point is that the theory of if you didn't buy this you could have that applies to everyone. You spend money on things you enjoy. Just because others don't enjoy it as much it doesn't mean you need to change your budget.

Though I noticed they never say a word when the game is on.[​IMG]

13. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

14. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Hehe I used to have way too many expensive hobbies all at once, street racing, home theater, computers, and smoking, being the top 4......I quit the Street Racing and rarely touch my computer these days. Its kind of funny to have newbies to HT over who will walk in and goe "why in the hell would you spend all the money on this stuff??" and then you sit them down throw something like Episode 2 in and turn it up and they just go "oooooohhhhhhh." Even my mom came over after I got all my gear and started asking how much it was etc etc like she wanted to get a similar setup[​IMG] hehe.

15. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

HT - Best entertainment investment I ever made.

Folks love the shoulda, woulda, coulda game, but it is a moot arguement. Yes, I could have not spent $4000 on the Home Theater over the last 2 years and invested that or put it towards the mortgage or whatever, but you gotta live your own life and not measure yourself by perfection. By the same coin, had I not ever eaten a pizza out or had beer with the boys or taken my wife to a nice dinner in last 2 years I could have saved probably $4000 as well, but what kind of life would that be?

This is the exact same game as saying "Gee, if I had only started working out when I was young, I could be really fit right now" while you sit around and eat potato chips. The point is the only time that matters is the present because the only control you have over time exists right now. Can't change your past, can't control or predict the future. All you can do is choose how to spend your moneya nd time right now, because right now is all you can ever be sure of having.

So for me, I love to watch movies, play video games, and watch TV. So the HT is a no-brainer; I use it so much (and enjoy it always) that I just don't question it's worth. I paid for it, it's done -- might as well run it into the ground enjoying it for the next 10 years [​IMG]

Ask your friends if they ever have regrets about jewelery or clothes, and as stated above, ask them right in the middle of a game...

17. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Hometheater a problem!! I ain't got no stinkin problem, I can stop anytime I won't. I just don't won't to.
    1)Computers
    2)Home theater

Of course I do it all for my wife and kids[​IMG]
    I plan for an upgrade in a couple of months for the HT.
    And this week I'm upgrading the kids PCs getting AMD Athlon AP 2000+ and new motherboards for both of them. And a 16 port 10/100 switch[​IMG]
    Plus I have to trnasfer all my wife's data from the PC my wife is currently using to her new laptop.
    I have to find some time to see Daredevil.
    Watch My big Fat Greek Wedding (to build up my wife's emotional bank account):b
    Surf the internet.....
    It never ends.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But when we sit down as a family and watch a movie it becomes apparent how much it was worth it. Now if we come just keep the baby from messing with the volume control.

18. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

19. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Yeah, I dunno about "jewelry", per se, but I hear what you're saying. [​IMG]

I haven't spent much on hardware in quite a long time (I think my last large-ish purchase was an HD receiver 1.5 yrs ago!) And software is at a much slower pace than before.

I lost my job which made me stop nearly cold turkey for awhile, and after that, I've been able to slow down. It also helps that I already had all this stuff. I could get a new receiver with 7.1 and DPLII but I already have a very nice 5.1 receiver, and don't really have the room for a 7.1 system anyway.

I also got Netflix to help curb the movie buying habit...

20. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer