What's new

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. Projectors really are meant for dedicated media rooms. They are not really meant for casual viewers. They are really for diehard film fans that want to create that theatre feel at home.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
If we had basements built into our houses around here I'd be all in with projector but that's not an option around here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes. Projectors really are meant for dedicated media rooms. They are not really meant for casual viewers. They are really for diehard film fans that want to create that theatre feel at home.

I do just fine with one in my living room with a pull-up screen. Nothing is wall mounted, nothing is permanently installed. The setup can easily be packed up and moved should we move.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I guess that would be a great option if folks are ok with taking things out and setting things up for a "movie night".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Seems most of these gadgets are built to last 1-2 years sadly.

Let's see, my Toshiba DVD player from 1998, 2002, and Sony 2006 are still going strong. My BD players from 2008, 2009 still play like the day I bought them. So yeah your 1-2 year estimation is spot on.

Too bad projectors require so many factors to truly enjoy.
Yup. Plugging a hdmi cord from player to projector and projecting on a white wall or portable screen is mind numbingly complicated. Don't forget to turn off the lights.

But I thought projectors were the best and greatest with next to no issues? :)
They are the best, and greatest.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
You are totally right!

I forgot I don't need to worry about finding the right type of projector, the correct mount, the right spot to put a projector, alignment of the projector. Don't need to worry about finding the right screen to get best picture since you don't buy a projector to shine on a wall!! Don't have to worry about finding right screen mount or right spot to mount the screen, nor worry about buying correct screen size.

No need to worry about bulb issues, bulb costs, dimming of bulbs.

It's literally take out of the box and plug it in to your 4k player ..oh wait the player is 15 feet across the room! oh well, no worries. Just take out of box and it's just plug and play and watch right then and there!

So darn simple! Why isn't all of America using them I wonder?! Hmmm. Weird.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Most people are not aware of how impressive a large, projected, image can be in a home environment. Also, unless a person is single, home decor is most often dictated by the woman and very few of them see any use or need for a media room or projection system. A lot of them cannot even stand the idea of a large screen TV in a room, let alone a projector and screen.

And, yes, I agree that they are more complicated to set up than a TV. Most people are casual consumers of video media. They cannot even figure out or be bothered to set up their expensive TVs for optimal viewing. A projection system would be beyond them.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You are totally right!

I forgot I don't need to worry about finding the right type of projector, the correct mount, the right spot to put a projector, alignment of the projector. Don't need to worry about finding the right screen to get best picture since you don't buy a projector to shine on a wall!! Don't have to worry about finding right screen mount or right spot to mount the screen, nor worry about buying correct screen size.

No need to worry about bulb issues, bulb costs, dimming of bulbs.

It's literally take out of the box and plug it in to your 4k player ..oh wait the player is 15 feet across the room! oh well, no worries. Just take out of box and it's just plug and play and watch right then and there!

So darn simple! Why isn't all of America using them I wonder?! Hmmm. Weird.
J. Respectfully, not sure why you can't just decide it's not right for YOU. Most would accept and understand that. I love my projector setup and dedicated room but it wouldn't bother me at all to learn others have different needs, restrictions or preferences.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Three issues with projectors:

1) The room needs to be light controlled.
2) They use bulbs which need to be changed frequently if you want to maintain a decent level of light output. The bulbs are expensive.
3) Black level. Blacks cannot even begin to approach those on TV sets, especially OLEDs.
I didn't know that about #3. Now, I've never had a problem with dark levels in an actual movie theater.

I always keep my windows cover, will get very dark curtains for a tv room and install dimmers to get it just how I want it. One rule I have is no eating or drink while watching 3Ds. Popcorn is okay but getting greasies on glasses in the biggest no no in my movie room!

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

No more Blu-ray players from Samsung
5791803cv12d-1024x631.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.
There not dumb. They have something up. Some kind of new deal. I have the one here. And three others from them. I'm looking to see a new disc deal, size ect.
from them. Just some thoughts

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You are totally right!

So you're saying you blind bought your 4k direct view streamer set with no prior research as to screen size or technology, plopped it on any handy table without considering where anyone sits, and never once gave a thought to setting it up with the correct picture settings to best display your content. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks