What's new

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I've seen projector set ups that have a bit too much light and they look pretty washed out. Now if it was pitch dark out and lights were out, yes they are stellar looking. But let's not try to trick folks into thinking you can just flip on a projector with the house lights on or when the room is sun filled and have a deep rich picture like you can with a standalone LCD/LED or similar TV. Ain't gonna happen.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
you guys are getting kickbacks I just know it!! lol I'll need a lot of help when I get around to shopping. My mom is saying get a small house, but I'm getting a big theater room with a house around it! My house now is such a shack. I need a lady who likes 3D too. So I'll be shopping around for that too! lol

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've seen projector set ups that have a bit too much light and they look pretty washed out. Now if it was pitch dark out and lights were out, yes they are stellar looking. But let's not try to trick folks into thinking you can just flip on a projector with the house lights on or when the room is sun filled and have a deep rich picture like you can with a standalone LCD/LED or similar TV. Ain't gonna happen.
Your opinion, of course, which as usual does not apply to everyone no matter how much you think it should.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Your opinion, of course, which as usual does not apply to everyone no matter how much you think it should.

You are correct in that it's my opinion. Never said it applied to "everyone" But we all know that overall projector set ups are much trickier to watch than a tabletop TV set up.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
that's like when it doesn't look good in the store... what happened with Plasmas. Maybe people trying to watch 3D movies with 6 lights and summer suns coming through the windows is why 3D is having problems!!

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I don't think there are too many average Joe's that went with projectors for their 3D viewing. The more hardcore diehard A/V fans like found on HTF went that route. Average Joe went with the $400 55" sets. So I doubt projector set ups played a big factor in 3D's mainstream failure.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Projection in general is amazing. I can't imagine ever going back to watching movies on a TV. And that's with an entry-level projector that cost less than many mid-size TV's.

Watched Frozen 3D last night. Incredible picture with lots of beautiful 3D with all the ice crystals and such.
I watched Frozen 3D over christmas and it did pretty well with my samsung. The picture is incredible and the 3D jawdropping with a few crosstalks here and there. I find that when there is stuff that is too far forward or too far back it just doesn't work no matter how I adjust. I'd wondered if I paid somebody to set the colors up... I really think it would improve, or get myself some new glasses, I was seeing a little double vision last weekend before doing a 3D double feature including the first lego 3D movie.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] I was seeing a little double vision last weekend before doing a 3D double feature including the first lego 3D movie.
4 out of 5 doctors agree that watching a double-feature will always lead to double-vision.:3dglasses:

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Mitsubishi is still in the A/V market?? I thought they left long ago. I was a diehard Mitsu fan back in the 70's and 80's. They were always considered the "premium" go to brand.

Sadly Panasonic is also barely hanging on. They list one $500 4K player and just 1 cheap Blu player.

Looks like Sharp only makes 4K TV's and no disc players at all listed on their website.

Looks like Pioneer only makes some high priced "Elite" model Blu only players and one mid range Blu. No 4K players listed on their site.

Toshiba no longer makes any players or TV's it appears per their website.

Yamaha only makes 2 players and they are just "upscaling" 4K, not true 4K.

Onkyo no longer lists any movie disc players for sale on their site

Sony right now is king of players. Many to chose from.

But all have many players available with online retailers so I'm not sure what the point is hear. Most vendors have normally only made 2-3 different players. You can buy players from at least 10 different vendors with no problems and even if all the other vendors stop selling in a few years the overstock will be available for years after that. Sony Launched Blu Ray so they will continue making players for a long time. When they announce they are no longer making players then it will be time to panic but its more likely that streaming will evolve into something better before that happens.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I didn't say you can't FIND the old outdated players floating around online. I'm just saying that many of the majors you listed as being current makers of players was to a degree invalid since many you listed don't make players at all any more. But if you want outdated or old tech players, you will always be able to dig one up somewhere.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Three issues with projectors:

1) The room needs to be light controlled.
2) They use bulbs which need to be changed frequently if you want to maintain a decent level of light output. The bulbs are expensive.
3) Black level. Blacks cannot even begin to approach those on TV sets, especially OLEDs.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still can't beat them for sheer immersion and that real theatre feel minus the sticky floors, broken down seats and clueless patrons.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I agree. If done right and in a pitch dark and well laid out room, they look spectacular. But in say, someone living room with lamps on, light coming through the drapes or blinds, the experience falls a bit flatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks