What's new

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Back on topic - the news doesn't really bother me, since I'm not impressed by Samsung Blu players anyway. I got my one & only Samsung Blu player in late 2012, and it lasted until Spring 2016. At that point, it still played DVD's, but the functionality?! of the Blu laser stopped working. Not sure if I got a dud or not, but in any case I believe Blu players should last longer than just a little over three years.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Hey 4 years isn't too bad of a lifespan. :) Seems most of these gadgets are built to last 1-2 years sadly.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]People buying 3D discs in no way had foreknowledge that the format would be dropped by TV makers.
I agree with you, Edwin-S.
Don't forget that none of these manufacturers forced people to double dip or jump from one format to another[...]
No, they didn't force us; but they certainly did seduce us.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Every single product made in the world will try to "seduce" you and all other potential buyers. You just have to be savvy enough to wade through the good stuff and the duds with your wallet.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It's still possible to find working laserdisc and Beta players, so it's not something I'd worry about.
There has actually been a resurgence in Laserdisc collecting. On Facebook there is a huge group with a lot of people constantly buying large lots of Laserdisc and are always looking for players. Its a nostalgia thing and it sparked me to start viewing the laserdiscs that I still have left probably 1,000 out of an original collection of 2500. Its a nostalgia thing for the group and many of them are young and never originally owned Laserdisc. This illustrates how discs are never really going away at least not for many decades and why boutique labels selling blu rays should be around easily another 10-15 years. Used disc market will be around at least 30-40 years after they stop selling dvd and blu ray. The laserdisc used and unopened market is still going strong 20 years after the format ceased and laserdisc was never close to as big as dvd and blu ray.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No way. I have so much invested in discs that I have to future proof myself (I still have an Oppo 4K sealed) with at least one more disc player.
My issue is that when I need to use it, I will have a newer TV down the road and by then televisions probably won't support HDMI. They will probably have no inputs at all for external hardware. Just a super smart TV that can sync up with any other device of the future. No cables needed.
I wouldn't worry about that either as someone will always comes up with adapters. So if HDMI is replaced with another connection type there will be a small box that allows several hdmi connections to be converted to the new type. If they change to no connections just blu tooth or some other link up there will be a box for hdmi connectors that can link up.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
LG walked away from 3D when it wasn't profitable anymore so I'd bet they will be next shoe to fall in this departure from disc movement.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Have fun with your Danish clog--I mean Phillips player then.
Or Panasonic, Mitsibishi, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Yamaha, etc. 2 companies ceasing to make players is hardly a reason to panic when there are a dozen more making them.
Personally I don't like LG or Samsung product or trust it so neither is a loss to me.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Mitsubishi is still in the A/V market?? I thought they left long ago. I was a diehard Mitsu fan back in the 70's and 80's. They were always considered the "premium" go to brand.

Sadly Panasonic is also barely hanging on. They list one $500 4K player and just 1 cheap Blu player.

Looks like Sharp only makes 4K TV's and no disc players at all listed on their website.

Looks like Pioneer only makes some high priced "Elite" model Blu only players and one mid range Blu. No 4K players listed on their site.

Toshiba no longer makes any players or TV's it appears per their website.

Yamaha only makes 2 players and they are just "upscaling" 4K, not true 4K.

Onkyo no longer lists any movie disc players for sale on their site

Sony right now is king of players. Many to chose from.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Disregard. Mitsubishi makes NO home A/V electronics. Too bad, they were great.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So to confirm, I can tell them to go ahead and run to their local Best Buy or Walmart or Target and grab a budget 3D TV which I guess there are several to chose from and a handful of 3D discs and enjoy? No need to jump through hoops, no need to order from overseas or any other things. All can be had plentifully at their local stores.

Yeah, the flagship 75” Sony which just stopped being manufactured in November of 2018. Still available at Amazon, and Value Electronics. If they order one tomorrow they will have it Tuesday of next week. And your friends being home theater enthusiasts must know about projectors which there are literally dozens of new and recent models that all support 3D.

I’ll Stop arguing when you admit you have been spouting bullshit about 3D being a failure. You want a failure look at DIVX.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, the flagship 75” Sony which just stopped being manufactured in November of 2018. Still available at Amazon, and Value Electronics. If they order one tomorrow they will have it Tuesday of next week. And your friends being home theater enthusiasts must know about projectors which there are literally dozens of new and recent models that all support 3D.

I’ll Stop arguing when you admit you have been spouting bullshit about 3D being a failure. You want a failure look at DIVX.
why I can sleep at night. :) I'm getting ready to buy a house within 1 year or so and I won't buy a new couch, or a new table or a new ANYTHING until I blow money on a projector and all region 4K 3D player!!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
why I can sleep at night. :) I'm getting ready to buy a house within 1 year or so and I won't buy a new couch, or a new table or a new ANYTHING until I blow money on a projector and all region 4K 3D player!!!
Awesome. Projection for 3D is amazing. You will love it.

I brought my projector to my friend's house, and he has this huge white wall so we projected the movie at 180"...it was freaking massive. Now he is sold on a projector too, and he doesn't even have to bother with a screen as the picture looked absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Awesome. Projection for 3D is fucking amazing. You will love it.
Projection in general is amazing. I can't imagine ever going back to watching movies on a TV. And that's with an entry-level projector that cost less than many mid-size TV's.

Watched Frozen 3D last night. Incredible picture with lots of beautiful 3D with all the ice crystals and such.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I would love to have a gigantic screen to watch movies on but it is impossible with our set up. Too many windows, no good way to mount a projector or screen. Too bad projectors require so many factors to truly enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks