What's new

NO more 2-Disc SE's of newer Disney animated films (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
What ARE you talking about, Matthew?
/me feels like he's missing the joke.
I'm sorry, I should have included a coupla :D ;) :D ;) :D in there. I'm referring to that scene in L&S where Stitch recites that (implied) vulagar quote in alien tongue, thus causing the entire Federation Senate (or whatever the hell they are) to collectively gasp in uproarious shock, consternation, and disbelief (IIRC a robot senator holds his midsection, lurches over, and pukes up a huge chunk of gears, wires, etc.)
My feeble attempts at humor will now end. Sorry Brian!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
But most of the public doesn't know what a 'cheapquel' is, or how it was created especially for home video (and then maybe bumped up to a full cinematic release). All they see are films exploiting their own favorite characters or movies; often done without style.
Very true a good portion of the time. Not always, but often. When I was nine, I saw Superman IV, and I didn't really know anything about budget, but I could tell how much worse it looked, and that it was lacking in the style that made the first two (and even the third, to a certain extent) entertaining.
And I'm not mad at you...just puzzled :p) Seriously, good post.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Whilst I havent read all the comments, interestingly, a large number of extras have been classified by the BBFC for Treasure Planet (over 1 hours worth to date). It could be they are planning a 2 disc special edition after all.

TysonK

Agent
I think this policy extends to their feature films (non animated) too. Read the review for Signs-Vista at www.dvdfile.com. There is only one disc and lacking in the supplements department. Isn't Vista usually 2 disc sets? Hopefully, the 2 disc Vista of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is still a go!

James Reader

Screenwriter
As posted earlier in this thread, JimHillMedia is now reporting that Disney's plans for Lilo and Stitch have changed.
However, I do think the upcoming Sleeping Beauty Special Edition will be the title to watch out for. If this 'Beauty' isn't 2 disc on R1 then I think troubled times for Disney fans are ahead of us, especially as the materials and authoring must have been completed for the European releases - specifically the mid-January UK release.
(It's possible that Treasure Planet will be released on DVD before Sleeping Beauty, but like Lilo and Stitch, I wouldn't be surprised if a single disc version was released first, so I don't see it as being a full test case)
I wouldn't panic on the live action front just yet - the Signs disc looks OK to me as apart from the missing DTS track all the promised supplements are included. I suppose high quality sound and vision weren't on the Visa Series mission statement after all. (And Disney, a trailer would be nice - I have the same complaint with your animated titles)
And the main reason the Roger Rabbit Vista release is spread over 2 discs seems to be the inclusion of the P&S movie on one (based on the recent certifications of Roger Rabbit on the BBFC website it looks like the release may surface as a single disc release in the UK with no P&S transfer of the film).
I wouldn't worry about upcoming live action 2 discs - I see the New version of Cinema Paradiso is to include the 1989 cut as well as the new one so is probably 2 disc (but it could be achieved with branching I suppose).
Looking at the Coming Soon listing on DVDPlanet, there doesn't seem to be many releases upcoming from Buena Vista apart from a flood of cheap and cheerful catalog titles in April. Wait a few months for some more titles to be announced and then evaluate the 2 disc situation.
Really though, I think Buena Vista's upcoming release of 'Super Mario Brothers' should be a 2 disc set! :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
God how I hate Michael Eisner's policies. He's run this studio into the ground!

When will Roy wise up and flush him out??

Dan

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I'm OK with this. I'm all extra-ed out at this point. I'd gladly do without extras ever again if I could only get a disc that would just play the movie when I insert the disc and hit the play button, like laserdisc did.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks