No midrange on my JBL L150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I have a pair of JBL L150’s (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1979-l150.htm) and last night while listening to an LP I noticed the left speaker was cutting out. I just figured it was a loose wire or cable or something and didn’t worry to much about it because I was tired and it was late and turntables aren’t always the most reliable pieces of equipment. Today I tried it again and it was having the same problem. I also noticed that when it wasn’t cutting out, the mids and highs sounded very bad to my ear… harsh and not constant. So I switch to playing a CD via toslink to my receiver. The sound was no longer cutting out, but the sound still sounded very harsh. I got closer, and used the non-technical but effective method of putting my ear up to each speaker to examine the sound. There was no sound, none at all coming from the mid. As far as I could tell the sound coming from the woofer and tweeter was fine… just no sound from the mid. I compared these results to the other speaker and the mid and tweeter on that one was just fine. To further confirm my results, I turned off the tweeter (the speaker has independent crossover adjustments) and the only other speaker that was producing sound was the woofer. The mid was totally dead. Again I used this method on the other speaker and the mid was fine. I tried a different set of speakers, and they sounded fine.
    This is a real bummer for me, as I don’t have ANY money right now. The last time I had these worked on was about 6 months ago when I had the foam surrounds replaced…. Otherwise everything from these speakers is original from 1979. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I should do? As I’m pretty much strapped for cash, taking them to the repair shop isn’t an option. I tried to remove the mid, to see if it was something as simple as a loose wire, but it seems that after all these years, the glue has bonded the metal speaker frame to the speaker cabinet quite permanently. If it is just a loose wire in there, it’s going to be hard for me to find out without being able to take the speaker apart. I’m just not sure what I should do now. Without the mid, they sound like Bose speakers.

2. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,
    Sorry to hear about your L150. You might try looking on ebay for an replacement midrange. I'm also an owner of a pair of these vintage speakers and have on many occasions found original replacement parts for these JBLs on ebay. Good Luck.

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I was able to remove the midrange, and the wires to the speaker looked intact. When I moved it around, the sound would cut in and out, as if a wire was loose, but I can't seem to find which wire is loose... just that if I wiggle the wires it will come back on until i move the wires again and it goes off.

I think just need to get access to the crossover network and check the connections.