What's new

No Man's Sky (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just seems like the usual excessive hype and generation of high expectations, to be followed by the usual letdown of reality versus advertising: recent prime example......Watchdogs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I feel similar. Further...I mean...just because it has endless possibilities doesn't mean any of them are good.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Morgan Jolley said:
I feel similar. Further...I mean...just because it has endless possibilities doesn't mean any of them are good.
Yeah. Diffuse, unfocused game play does not necessarily equate to good game play.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read the interview and watched the demo video. According to the interview, the video isn't representative of gameplay. That's the 1% (10% of worlds have life. 10% of those have more than fungus.)

I don't know what fun will be had in traveling in semi-real time to 99 worlds to see procedurally generated mountains and lakes. It wasn't apparent whether the game is single-player or multi-player. Is it mission oriented, sandbox, or socio-economic?

I predict the reviews will be: Great technology demo. Boring game.
Or the developer will pivot, toss the infinite universe conceit, and force in a mission sequence so there's something interesting for gamers.
I could be out to lunch, maybe there's a market for sandbox games and this will be a total success in that niche. Similarly, it might open up a new online system, like Eve (is that it?) that gets on the news for big space battles once every decade.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing there will be 2 modes.

Single player - there's an open-world structure with procedurally-generated worlds. Every time a person starts the game, a new world is randomly generated and that data is uploaded to a server. Visiting new planets means downloading data about the worlds that other players discovered/made when they started playing. This is sort of the same as the end-game component of the game Spore. The story will probably be something generic with missions that required you to go to a random planet, mine some ore, shoot some ships, what have you, but nothing that relies on any particular sort of specific circumstance that you'd find in a Mass Effect or Star Wars game. I'm thinking a space travel version of what Titanfall has for its single player.

Multiplayer - fly around the universe meeting/shooting random people with maybe some NPCs around, like any sort of MMO in space would be.

Both sound incredibly neat but boring.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I agree that it is aggravating for people to get games early and post spoilers but you don't have to read them and the game will still remain 100% fresh when it is released.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i thought it was an open exploration game. If it was merely a first-to-buy race game, why would anyone buy it after day one? That sounds like an instant flop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not, but it was supposed to be an interesting part of the journey together and now that's taken away cause some shitbirds got the game early

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The fact that the dude had to spend $1300 and beat the game in 30 hours suggests, to me, that this would not have taken months to get to the end goal. At worst, you've saved yourself the disappointment when someone beat the game after 2 days after having already spent the $60 to buy it and now you're just disappointed and aware of the situation going into it. Let's be honest, someone's going to beat this in an even shorter amount of time, so the race was already lost by those who have lives and jobs and are out of high school.

This is like being mad that someone beat Mortal Kombat before you had time to learn every character's moves. This game is loaded with BILLIONS OF PLANETS worth of content (though the extent to which that is all uniquely interesting content or just "stuff" remains to be seen). And you're mad one guy went to one particular place?

For the record, this game seems like an immense time sink. I think the fact it exists is cool and I hope its good, but I have no interest in actually playing it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, sounds more like it would have been a 2-day race anyway.

Hopefully the devs have planned out the rest of the game more accurately.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The game looks fun but would not buy for the preorder price. Not that confidence. I thought about it a little more after trying to land on an atmospheric planet in Elite Dangerous Horizons. You can't. So disappointed. They are supposed to add that later but I don't think it will be this year, which I've paid for. :( NMS will have that right away. Just hope there is a demo so I can try out the flight model and a little of what can be done on planets. EDH had a demo and the flight model is so great. Love the space battles and mining. Often peaceful (some say borning, not me) often crazy irritating, other times so darn exciting. It's the best space game I've played. Star citizen looks great too. Nice time to be a space game fan.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not bothered that someone beat the game in 30 hours, since I don't think this is a game you really ever beat. If you only want to hit the center of the universe or whatever that's fine. It makes me think of Skyrim. I'm sure you could push through the main quest and beat the main quest in a couple days, but the fun for me was wandering about and seeing what I could find. I like the idea of mostly passively exploring and cataloging planets. It sounds nice.

I wont be buying this one day one, but unless the reviews point to it being completely pants I'll pick it up eventually. It will be a nice game to chill out too after playing some twitchy game that drive me crazy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I didn't realize it, but if you are a humble monthly subscriber you get 10% off NMS AND 10% of your purchase goes to charity of your choice. That plus the patch notes made my mind up for me as I'm already a monthly sub. Preordered. What's the worst that can happen? =p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks