What's new

No love for the Adcom GTP830? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I understand that this model has only 3 digital inputs and no component switching. And the 1st gen GTP740 had horrible bugs. However, this model seems to be bug free, and a Perfect Vision review looked inside and said it resembled the excellent $1000 GDA-700 dac he reviewed in 1995. The GDA-700 and similiar GDC750 CD player are awesome CD dacs! And the 830's version is improved to 24bit and 96hz.
Considering the GDA700 still goes for $350+ and the GDC-750 for $700+, the 830 doesn't seem like that bad a deal at $700-900 street for someone looking for a prepro with nice onboard DACs. And the 830 also has propreitary processing to derive stereo signals in the rear centers from 5.1 sources. At worse, would have been a nice Outlaw "holdover" the past several months, as Adcom gear tends to hold its resale value well.......:)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
After reading the same review in The Perfect Vision I thought about tracking it down and given it a listen, but the reviews at audioreview.com lowered my interest, especially the comments about the noise floor.

-Steve

Han

Second Unit
It's not quite there. Proprietary 7.1 processing is nice, but I'd like the real EX / ES stuff too. The upconversion of composite to S-Video is also nice, but component (switching and upconversion) would have been even better. The "warm" sound is also a plus. Believe me, I'd pay more if Adcom offered more, but like I said, the features just aren't quite there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks