No love for the Adcom GTP830?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky T, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I understand that this model has only 3 digital inputs and no component switching. And the 1st gen GTP740 had horrible bugs. However, this model seems to be bug free, and a Perfect Vision review looked inside and said it resembled the excellent $1000 GDA-700 dac he reviewed in 1995. The GDA-700 and similiar GDC750 CD player are awesome CD dacs! And the 830's version is improved to 24bit and 96hz.
    Considering the GDA700 still goes for $350+ and the GDC-750 for $700+, the 830 doesn't seem like that bad a deal at $700-900 street for someone looking for a prepro with nice onboard DACs. And the 830 also has propreitary processing to derive stereo signals in the rear centers from 5.1 sources. At worse, would have been a nice Outlaw "holdover" the past several months, as Adcom gear tends to hold its resale value well.......[​IMG]

2. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

After reading the same review in The Perfect Vision I thought about tracking it down and given it a listen, but the reviews at audioreview.com lowered my interest, especially the comments about the noise floor.

-Steve

3. Han

Han Second Unit

It's not quite there. Proprietary 7.1 processing is nice, but I'd like the real EX / ES stuff too. The upconversion of composite to S-Video is also nice, but component (switching and upconversion) would have been even better. The "warm" sound is also a plus. Believe me, I'd pay more if Adcom offered more, but like I said, the features just aren't quite there yet.