1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

No LOTR before 2008?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

According to New Line's official page for the re-released DVDs (warning: embedded clip) of the LOTR trilogy, it looks like another chance to really show off either format is not to be, this year or the next:
    On the one hand, I'm glad that they're holding off in order to offer the best quality, but on the other, this is exactly the kind of flick that will sell players. Ah well, we can always hope they change their minds.

2. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

I'm anxious to get this title in HD, but on the other hand I'm glad it won't be out till then. Surely by then all bugs with maximum storage on high definition formats (whichever) will be worked out, and the best in transfer technologies will be available. I want it, but I want it to be right.

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Couldn't be better news. When I heard the rumors that they were coming at the end of the year I thought it was a big mistake. Glad to see that they want to do it right.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Well my wallets happy, now I'm not even going to be tempted to buy a new player or TV for 2 more years [​IMG]

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

they could have released them this year as bare bones edtions- helped build the format up- and then re-visited them 5 years from now and benefited from advancements in the uses of the newer codecs as well as using the opportunity to offer up the extended versions or substantially more supplemental material.

they could have had a win/win and instead they are going to look forward to the 'big score' all at once by waiting until the formats have grown naturally 'by themselves' .

at least Warner knows you can't expect to sell anything to people who haven't bought players because they figure nothing worth watching is available yet.

6. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I'd take that info with a grain a salt.

This info seemed to first appear in a FAQ on Amazon.com's listing of the new DVDs before it was reported to be on lordoftherings.net. Obviously, it is in New Line's best interest for people to not have the impression that Hi-Def versions are right around the corner, not when they want people to buy these new DVDs.

I think they have no definite plan for when this will be released one way or the other. Their statement of 2008 at the earliest feels more like a guess that is exaggerated in the direction that will make the new DVDs look more appealing.

It very well may be that these films don't hit HD DVD (or BD) until 2008, but I'm not convinced that 2007 is impossible. Actually, I could see Holiday 2007 as a very realistic time to see these films on a High Definition disc format.

Now, if Peter Jackson is quoted saying something like, "Well, we have plans -big plans- for The Lord of the Rings on HD DVD, but we haven't started on that yet and it shouldn't be coming until 2008 at the earliest" then I'd fully believe it will take that long. But I'm less quick to believe NLC/amazon.com marketing for the current DVD release as a reliable indicator of when High Def is coming.

7. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i believe PJ did say he wanted to LOTR to be released on HD format after the limited disc runs. and as we can see, the limited disc runs have arrived. that means HD is fairly soon. PJ noted that there were tons of MORE material to add to the ultimate HD box set. i really can't imagine ANYTHING ELSE after seeing all the material on the EE box sets. it's already ridiculous enough that the making of is longer than an already LONGass movie. now they're going to add to the length of the making of. argh =(.

8. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I agree with this, and I wouldn't begrudge New Line (or any other studio) if they decided to double-dip before five years. I know I'm an early adopter, and I certainly don't mind putting up with bare-bones stuff for a while. A quality presentation of the movies is all I need at this point; I mean, that's the main reason to upgrade right?

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'll go against the grain here and say I am saddened about the news if indeed true. Titles like LOTR would help the Hi-Def market. None of the other HD movies have great extras either...we bought those for the WOW factor and fun factor....

Sure, I want it done right....but this can be done right much sooner than 2008. [​IMG]

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the other potentially negative consequence of pushing all this good stuff farther off into the future is that they are now building expectations that will only increase with the passage of time and the addition of more users/enthusiasts.

Its going to suck to wait another 2 years only to get the theatrical versions anyway.

about the only positive I see is I can get one or two more viewings out of my box sets before I have to worry about ebaying 'em.

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    when it does get here... it'll be bare bones (2009). THEN 2010 is the SE, THEN 2011 is the uber deluxe version [​IMG]. ain't we all suckers for that stuff?

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I wants my precious in HD [​IMG]

This is not a good sign as it doesn't look like LOTR's will be out any time soon in HD. And HD titles like Pirates Of The Caribbean, Star Wars and other huge block busters are not on the horizon yet. Or have been purposly delayed for a year or more so with the abcents of huge blockbuster titles. I can see most Walmart type consumers staying away from HD because they are not impressed with the movies that are being offered. And that would also mean having to go out and purchase an exspensive HDTV so they can watch these new HD titles. The studios need to at least start releasing enough huge blockbusters to help generate interest in the new HD formats. Needless to say that if LOTR's is not going to be out until 08' or even 09', its alittle disapointing but I now expect these titles to be beyond flawless. And I would expect things like a DTS-HD Master Audio track as well.

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Oh God make him stop! Why can't they just release the Extended Cuts w/out the extras? Isn't 6 throwaway disks per trilogy enough? Think of the landfills of unwanted LOTR bonus features that will be left for the future! (theatrical bonus disk, extended bonus 2 disks, extended giftbox third bonus disks gollum, national geographic et al, extended triology specal edition dvd bonus disks, hd theatrical bonus disk, hd extended bonus disks..... etc etc etc).

14. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
  15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Have we determined if Dolby TrueHD®, DTS-HD Master®, and Sony's Lossless PCM® (LPCM) will all contain the same audio? Will any of them have dynamic compression or anything?

Will it really matter which format we get if they all work the same? (I know I personally wouldn't care).

16. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

[​IMG]

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

I would prefer that HD releases have ether DTS-HD or Dolby True HD and that Sony keep out of it. Sony's have a hard enough time making this format sucseful. We dont need them ecentially creating there own surround format, even if its a pcm track.

Sony's Lossless PCM® (LPCM) ?

I am wondering if this is Sony's home version of SDDS or if it is just a basic lossless pcm track? Dolby has been in the business of movie sound for many years and DTS has a great track record for high performance audio. Why do we need Sony to add there own audio track in? Even if the are almost identicall we don't need a third surround track on any disc! I don't care if they have an audio menue with that would have these selections.

Option 1 - Not what I would really want to see but ok.
    • Dolby Digital Plus
    • DTS-ES
    • PCM 6.1
    Option 2
    • Dolby Digital Plus
    • Dolby True HD
    • DTS-ES
    Option 3
    • Dolby True HD
    • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio [​IMG]
    • No PCM
    Or a mixture of options

Option 4
    • Dolby Digital Plus
    • Dolby True HD [​IMG]
    • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio [​IMG]
    Option 5
    • Dolby True HD [​IMG]
    • DTS-HD Master Audio [​IMG][​IMG]
    I see no reason why we shouldn't start seeing alot more 6.1 surround mixes and for these new formats to be stuck using 5.1 is rediculous. DTS-HD High Resolution and Master Audio are both capible of 8 channel playback. Dolby True HD supports 8 channels as well.

And since all three Lord Of The Rings EE SD-DVD's contain a DTS-ES 6.1 track in see no reason to go back to a 5.1 mix just because its lossless! At a minimum we should get 6.1 lossless audio no matter if it ends up being Dolby or DTS. The HD formats is supposed to be about cutting edge technology and bring the best movie exsperience into the home. We have been seeing recievers and pre/pros that use a 7.1 configuration. Why not make that the standard for todays surround sound? I for one would love to own Lord Of The Rings with a 7.1 lossless DTS-HD Master Audio track [​IMG]

DOLBY TRUE HD

Features
    • 100 percent lossless coding technology.
    • Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
    • Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
    • Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
    • Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.
    *Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight.

DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO

DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at super high variable bit rates -24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD - that are significantly higher than standard DVDs . This bit stream is so "fast" and the transfer rate is so "high" that it can deliver the Holy Grail of audio: 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths that are identical to the original. With DTS-HD Master Audio, you will be able to experience movies and music, exactly as the artist intended: clear, pure, and uncompromised.

Personally I would like to see a surround config for high end HT that would look something like this.
    Front L & R Strereo
    Front Center L & R
    Side L & R
    Rear L & R

I dont see any reason to ever go beyond that. This is an 8.1 version of SDDS theatrical surround sound. And for a HT that uses a projection screen it IMHO would offer the best surround solution for the home. I would also use a set up menu that would allow only one center channel to be used and for the rear speakers to be routed into the side L & R channels. Esentially making it a 5.1 system for those who do not want to have more than 5 speakers in the room.

But back to topic, at this point in time I see no reason why we should not exspect LOTR's to be a 1080p transfer with a minimum of 6.1 lossless audio. This movie has a great sound track and has a great audio mix that would make it a crime to go back to a 5.1 mix IMHO. The only thing we need to know is when will we see a HD release and what surround mix will they give us?

18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Oh by the way Jeff that picture [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I wants my presious as well [​IMG]