No Live For Me :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Whalen, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well gang.. after askin' everyone to push me over the fence, I went shoppin today.
    It's gonna cost me 500 bucks to get my beloved XBox online! I just can't justify that cost... and my wife would shoot me I think. [​IMG] (Better spent on DVD's...snicker)
    Keep in mind, these are Canuck-bucks...
    So it's 80 bucks for the Live Kit. 199 for the LinkSys wireless 4-point switch, and 220 for the WET-11CA bridge. Man.. I wish I coulda prewired my house while it was being built!!! (Good thing I wasn't looking for the wireless HUB...it's 500 bucks by itself!) Grrrr...
    So... end result is I either truck my cable-modem up and down the stairs (which seems like too much hassle) or I run wires down the stairwell (see previous wife-shooting-me comment) or I just stick with PC multiplayer for now.
    *SIGH*
    Anyone have any alternate suggestions? [​IMG]
    On the plus side... I *might* be able to pick up Steel Battalion.. although I have no idea where I'll store the controller. [​IMG]
    *sniff*
    Thanks for letting me whine. [​IMG]

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

3. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

DOH!!! Dang, too bad you missed the thread that I posted up.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=106827
    If it was valid in Lethbridge it would have been in Calgary for sure. [​IMG]
    Keep your eye's peeled for future deals from FS. I'll do the same and post it up here.

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hmmm... perhaps I should shop around a little more. Thanks Tim! Needless to say... those numbers are a tad discouraging.
    Thanks Romar! 'preciate yer keepin' an eye out! I actually DID see your thread... but it was a matter of not being able to make a purchase 'til next payday. [​IMG]
    Perhaps I'll just hafta wait until after Christmas... and then purchase one component at a time. *sigh* [​IMG]
    Course by then... all you guys are gonna be SICK of Ghost Recon and Mech Assault. [​IMG]
    ....geez... I wonder if I could pout MORE! Sad for a guy in his 30's. [​IMG] LOL!

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

You could still do the thing wired-see if there are convenient places to run wires through the walls. Cold air returns are especially good for this, and wires can be run under baseboards fairly easily. If you're careful, you won't even know that there's a network cable there.

6. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

What about bypassing the wireless route? A discrete CAT5 run shouldn't be -too- difficult..

Have you considered Ebay? You should be able to find the wireless hardware on there cheaper, too. I don't know if they'll have any WET11 bridges, but you ought to be able to get a deal on a pair of wireless access points. Just bridge them and you're set.

7. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Tony, first thing is to convince the boss of the significant improvement in home productivity with your PC's all on the net together. Good luck in doing so as I can't think of any reasons but hey.

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

seriously, a professional quality run of network cables in your house will increase its value. no BS.

just make sure to do it up to code - use plenum grade CAT5 cable (the jacketing is of a different composition and will not emit toxic fumes if it catches fire), etc. maybe the home improvement angle will appeal to her.

9. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I second the "fish a wire there man!" comment. It's not that bad to get a wire from one room to the other through walls and heating ducts. Then all you would need is a router, got one of those at Future snot for $50.

Dean

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    $200 American for a WET11? I paid $129!

Mike

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Cable for the comp, DSL for the Box [​IMG]

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thanks for the input guys! I was really discouraged there... I'll have a looksee t'night, and see if I can't do an easy cable-run between floors. [​IMG] (Cold-air return is a great idea...)