What's new

No LFE when playing 2 channel stereo on 1066? (1 Viewer)

DaveBarn

Grip
Fellow members, I just did the software upgrade on my RSP-1066 to version 2.26. I notice that I am not getting any LFE from my sub when playing a CD in 2 channel stereo. I’m pretty sure that I did have it before the upgrade, but not 100% sure. Is there something I’m missing? The upgrade said that once installed you can set the sub levels to off on different surround modes including stereo. Can somebody help me out?
Thanks!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Dave I replied to your thread in Club Rotel but basically you need to set your mains to small.

AndrewKC

Agent
2 channel analog CDs won't have an LFE channel, whereas DTS and DD (which are digital formats) will. When you switch speakers to small, you are enabling the subwoofer output to compensate for the loss of lower frequency material coming from your mains. This isn't a dedicated LFE channel though, just low frequency material that would be coming from your mains had you set them to large.

DaveBarn

Grip
Thanks that makes sense. Thanks again!

I just now have noticed that when playing Dolby Digital EX DVDs it does not auto-detect. This was supposed to be fixed in the latest release. It did work before I installed the upgrade. I also still get some popping sounds from my speakers when going through menu setups on some DVDs but not all. Is anybody else having these problems?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Be aware that not all discs are correctly flagged. Star Wars EP1, for example, requires that you manually enable DD EX.

This was true of the first batch of DD EX titles, although it seems to be corrected in newer releases.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

With DD and DTS, speaker settings of small will mean that the signal sent to the sub will be the SUM of low bass redirected from speakers set to small (as you indicated), AND the dedicated LFE channel if their is one.

Most newer DD/DTS releases are true 5.1, although there are some that are not. One title that somes to mind is Disney's Tarzan, which is 5.0.

For that one, anything you hear coming from the sub will be redirected bass from the mains.

BGL

DaveBarn

Grip
Thanks all!

Everything seems to be working as explained. Thanks again for your help. By the way I just wanted to say a few words about Rotel tech support. I sent an email with a few questions and they responded back in about 1 hour. I left voice mails and they responded back in about an hour and a half. I was very impressed with their response and knowledge of their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks