No LET IT BE in 2005

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jo_C, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

It was bound to happen...no DVD reissue of "Let It Be" this year. I am convinced it's those pesky legal issues.

Speaking of which, I was on the U.S. copyright web page, and as it turns out this film is now in the public domain. I did not see a hint of the film's copyright, so my guess is that it wasn't renewed.

I was looking forward to it myself. And collector's prices on the "Let It Be" official videos will continue to skyrocket.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Reissue?

3. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I think he's speaking about a "reissue" of the film itself, not a reissue of a previously issued DVD of the film.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Not surprised at all.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

I don't know what, exactly, you looked at (doing a records search, I get 117 different results for "let it be" as a title), but something not being listed on the Copyright Office's website means nothing about it whether or not it is still under copyright. This is very, very important to realize: just because you don't come up with something on a Copyright Office web search, you can't come to any kind of conclusion (no less make a public announcement) about whether something is in the public domain.

As for this film in particular, Let It Be need not have had a renewal filed on it for its copyright term to still be in effect. Let It Be was released in 1970, and its original 28-year term would have expired, roughly speaking, at the end of 1998. However, pursuant to 17 USC § 304(a)(2)(A), it was then automatically given an additional 67 years of copyright protection, whether or not a renewal was ever filed.

Given the above, it is very unlikely that Let It Be has fallen into the public domain.

And, of course, even if the film somehow fell into the public domain, it is filled with copyrighted music.

DJ

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I really, really, really doubt Apple Records would allow a Beatles film to become public domain.

It may not be listed in the LoC database due to it being a British film. Also, I searched for a few other copyrighted films and they didn't have listings.