What's new

No left sound from TV broadcast (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Here's my situation: I get stereo audio from a television broadcast when using the built-in TV speakers, but if I switch it to my receiver - and external R & L speakers, only the right speaker works; there is no sound from the left.

Using PS2 works the same way...both TV speakers work fine, but if routed through the receiver to the external speakers, there is no audio from the left.

I have no audio problems whatsoever with DVDs and 5.1 sound, or CD or FM audio; all speakers work properly.

What I'd like is some step-by-step troubleshooting advice, spelling out for me step one, step two, etc. In other words, I'm looking for a "do this, if that doesn't work then do this, if that doesn't work do this..." scenario.

Thanks a ton,

Jon

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It sounds like you have a problem with the wiring. Go to the back of the television where you'll find left and right audio out jacks, make sure they are connected properly. Then check the TV audio in jacks on the receiver. More than likely the left audio out on the television isn't connected to the left audio in on the receiver. If everything is connected properly try a different wire.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Carl, will do that. I'll post back if the problem is not solved.

Jon

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure to also check your receiver settings. I was having a similiar problem with my PS2 not too long ago - it turned out that my receiver was accidently set to surround mode when it should have been on stereo for TV and PS2. If the wiring looks okay you might want to experiment with a few settings on your receiver and see if that helps.
Good luck. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
One way to test this is to temporarily swap L & R wires at the tv. If the sound switches from left to right you can rule out the receiver. If it doesn't switch I would restore the L & R at the tv and swap the wires at the receiver end.

If it switches now you might have a bad wire. If it doesn't switch I think you've got a problem with the receiver.

I suspect a wire is plugged in wrong (ie L plugged into yellow video RCA plug) but this is one way to help locate the problem.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks