:( No KEF Q95.2 to be found. Any suggestions for Center Channel Speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chad Crusoe, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Chad Crusoe

Chad Crusoe Auditioning

Thank you for reading this.

I've been trying to find a KEF Q95.2 Center Channel speaker to complete my home theater system. Over the last few years KEF had discontinued their production of this Q-Series of speaker, and now I'm unable to find a single used (but in great shape) or new center channel.

This is the set up I'm using, and as you can see, the Q95.2 or the Reference 100 would both match my fronts perfectly.

Front Speakers: Kef Q15.2 (Running them "small")
    Rear Speakers: Mirage AUG200 (Purchased two out of a broken set of 4)
    Sub: Paradigm PDR-10
    Receiver: Sony STR-DB830 (Does a wonderful job of imitating a centerchannel, quite impressive)
    DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

When the KEF site had their speaker matching system, the Q95.2 center channel was a perfect fit.

My optimism has grown dim at the prospect of finding either the Q95.2, or the KEF Reference 100 for center channel speakers.

MY QUESTION: Can anyone recommend another center channel speaker that would be a prospective match? Does anyone have a similar configuration that sounded wonderful with an non-KEF speaker?

KEF does have other very wonderful sounding C.C. Speakers, but I've been advised by a local trustworthy dealer (HALSTONs in Minneapolis MN). that some of the newer models would not match well...and the prices above $400 are prohibitive.

One last note, I'd consider using another Q15.2, but my gut tells me to stick with a center channel speaker that is made to be a CCS.

Thanks for helping me with my dilemma, I'm sick that I didn't grab one when I had the chance.

Chad

2. Chad Crusoe

Chad Crusoe Auditioning

Just bumping this up to the top.

I know someone here has at least one idea.

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

One idea (which I did 3-4 years ago until a move necessitated some re-org of gear):

Find another 15.2. Use as center channel speaker. Voila! Perfect "voice matching" across the three front speaks.

You might have to buy a pair -- they're cheap now on Audiogon or eBay -- and keep the other as a "spare" in case one of the other three blows a driver

My system is now 15.1 fronts and Q95C center, but before I moved I had a 15.2 underneath my 32" direct view TV on a small stand. Worked perfectly.

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit