No inserts on most of this week's MGM titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jun 5, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just saw a thread about UHF and the lack of an insert in that package.
    I thought I'd start a more general thread, to head off complaint posts about individual titles, that reminds everyone that most of this week's MGM catalog dump probably won't have inserts in them. MGM traditionally save a buck or so in production costs on their "deliver-new-on-street-date-at-$14.99-SRP" titles by leaving these out. Other examples I can think of quickly include Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Scanners, The Miracle Worker, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, etc.
    I myself picked up The Manhattan Project yesterday, and it did not have any insert. I plan to pick up many more of this week's MGM titles; I expect none of these to have inserts:
    • Best Seller
      Caveman
      Cheech & Chong's The Corsican Bros.
      Great Balls of Fire!
      Hero and the Terror
      High Spirits
      The Manhattan Project
      Men At Work
      Mr. Saturday Night
      UHF
      Unforgettable
    I know everyone thinks it's a "defect" to have these missing, and I agree. But unfortunately, it's a *planned* defect. [​IMG]
    In fact, a long time ago I sent an e-mail to DVDJournal.com, which was never "published", but in it I spoke out on this very issue:

2. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

MGM stopped including inserts months ago. I agree, the inserts are probably more important than most anything else ... EXCEPT OAR and ANAMORPHIC.

And while we are on the subject, the inclusion of a cast list (like Criterion does) would be appreciated.

It doesn't have to be fancy. It can be real cheap. Just a chapter listing and a cast list.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Holy Crap! I forgot about The Manhattan Project. I didn't even check the weekly roundup yet. Well, TMP is a must buy for me, but I'm curious to hear how the disc is Dave. If you've given a spin already, whatcha think? You know, with this movie, you could probably say it's a crappy transfer, and I would still buy it just to be able to watch it in OAR when I feel an itch for it.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The last two MGM discs I bought - "The Last Waltz" and "Blue Velvet: SE" - both had inserts, special glossy box cases around the regular keepcases, a wonderful array of well-produced extras, and fantastic transfers.
    For me, MGM is the studio of the month! [​IMG]

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

To go off on a tangent, if I may, I hate the new keepcases for the new MGM discs. I got Blue Velvet and UHF, and it's really difficult getting the disc out of the hub. It's not as bad as the earlier "deathgrip" hub like in Fight Club, it's still damn annoying.

The glossy box for Blue Velvet is pretty cool though.

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I think MGM is just getting back at us for making fun of "collectible booklets" listed as a special feature on their earlier DVDs.
    [​IMG]

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    As long as much of their catalog is available for under $10 shipped from Deep Discount DVD, they can have whatever policy on inserts that they wish. [​IMG]
    DJ

8. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

No insert in Caveman, but at this price--for a film I didn't think would ever come out--I'm not complaining. Looks great too.

9. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I think that all of MGMs 19.95 and 14.95 MSRP discs do not come with inserts. Its been this way for a long time as far as I know. Their 24.95 MSRP discs and all their SE's have them though.

10. David Lambert

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Jodee's right. Everyone went off on MGM about their collectible booklets. The result? Screw you guys, no collectible booklets for you. [​IMG] I wish people would choose their complaints more carefully.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally, I don't care about chapter insert cards. If you want to know where the stops are hit "menu"

If you're going to put an insert in, I'd like some actual content like MGM titles USED to have

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Jeff, you don't like the content of the inserts for "Blue Velvet" or "The Last Waltz"?

I don't mean to suggest they rival some of the tab-busting tomes Criterion puts together, but I think both of these (the most recent I've gotten from MGM) are as good or better than those of most other studios.

14. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Though it is de riguer to beat up on MGM (and they have made some bloopers)
    ...hey, were talking MGMs $10 line here...and besides, except for theirs and others more Deluxe releases, most "inserts" are merely a card with the discs cover photo on front, and a chapter list on the back, which can also usually be found in the discs menu. Most of the time irrelevant.
    I, for one, could care less- as long as, in addition to the excellent price, they are releasing cult and generally harder to find films.
    The only stipulation-that they be OAR and 16x9...and Im one satified MGM-ophile.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What I mean is, if they're just going to put in a card with chapter stops and silly titles for the chapters on it, I could care less if they leave it out

If they're going to put in a booklet with ACTUAL information I'm all for it

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Most consumers are not as informed as we are about this trend. Last year, I sold a used a copy of "Cherry 2000" at Half.com and the buyer gave me bad feedback because the disc was missing an insert. [​IMG]

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Color me Kleist! It's not a CD, where it's common to skip to a particular track. Plus, you can use the chapter selection menu to find the right spot.

I try not to look at the chapter lists anyway. . .sometimes they have spoilers!

If the booklet has some info in it, then fine, but the same info could be included in the disc content anyway. No biggie! I'll keep my extra buck. (Think of it this way: "Buy 9 spatulas, and get the 10th for just one penny!")

19. David Lambert

20. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Those booklets cant be too collectible. I never see any on Ebay [​IMG]