No! In the name of all things good and true, please no!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Plucker, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    My local Blockbuster has decided, on new releases, to put DVDs next to their VHS counterparts merging what was once two separate sections. In other words, all the DVD copies of Panic Room are on the same shelf next to the VHS copies of Panic Room. The new release shelves now completely wrap around the entire store instead of having two separate sections for VHS new releases and DVD new releases.

Just when Blockbuster had won me back with a good selection of catalog titles and the 10 rental, free dvd cards they pull something like this. Is this going on at all stores?

Don't like it. Don't like it one bit.

-Keith

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I'll bite. Why don't you like it? It sounds to me like the VHS 'section' is getting smaller and smaller,which is good, no?

Glenn

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree. That is a bad way to do it. Keep the VHS's in a VHS section.

Another thing I don't like, that they did awhile ago, at least in my Blockbuster, is the older title DVD's (non-new releases, to use their terminology). They broke them up by movie type, (Comedy, Family, Action-which happens to include Sci-Fi and Horror, Drama). The problem with this is some movies you're not sure which category to look in, so you wind up looking for a certain title in two or three sections. When they first got DVD's they were all just alphabetical.

The only advantage to the category grouping is if you're in the mood for a certain type of movie, but not sure which one. However, I think that is much less often than going in looking for specific titles.

4. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"Don't like it. Don't like it one bit."
    Ditto here but I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What was an easy stroll through the DVD section is now a monstrous journey into the abbyss of VHS tapes(which by the way out number the dvd's by 3-1). Now my eyes strain to discern the DVD's vs the VHS which I mus say is far more difficult then just looking for a DVD in a DVD section. You wouldn't think it would be more difficult but it surely is. I have no idea why they did it at my Coborns but needless to say it is a pain in the .... well you get the point[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

The Blockbuster I patronize has not (yet) merged the VHS and DVD collections, but they have categorized the older DVDs instead of simply alphabetizing them as previously. I can understand the benefit of categorizing, but I much prefer a simple alphabetic shelving.
    The local Movie Gallery originally had DVDs separate from VHS, then they merged them; now they're separate again. When I asked them before why they merged them, they said it would make it easier for a person to rent a VHS if the DVD was unavailable. Well, some people may not care if they rent a VHS instead of a DVD, but I certainly do. Then again, given the practice of the Movie Gallery to only order full-frame DVDs when available, maybe there really isn't that much difference between a VHS and DVD. [​IMG]
    Hopefully, Blockbuster isn't merging their VHS and DVD collections. I'll have to take a look this afternoon when I pick up my "Monster's Inc". (On DVD, of course.)
    Steve K.

6. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker

7. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

For what it's worth, the new releases are that way here as well. I suppose it was done to cater to the needs of people who own DVD players, but:
    • want a specific movie, and will rent it on VHS if there are no DVD copies available, or
    • dislike "those black bars" to the point that they will rent the VHS version if there's no pan-and-scan DVD version (yes, such people exist)
    Alternately, I suppose it could bode that they plan to make "guaranteed to be there" mean that it counts if there are VHS copies there, even if you want the DVD and they're out.
    I find it mildly annoying -- it means there's more cruft to look through and I have to walk further while perusing the new releases section. The "hopelessly scratched", er, I mean "non-new release" section of DVDs is still separate from VHS and is alphabetical rather than categorical.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i don't like it. is was much better when i didnt have to walk through the whole store to see the new dvd's.

it just looks sloppy when you look at the shelf and see all the vhs and dvd boxes together.

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Mine did it recently too, and it sucks big time. The newe release DVD's were agsint the wall and took about half of the store wall space. Now, with the VHS mixed in, the new releases take up almost the entire wall space. It takes forever to work through them.