No HU Card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vincent Onorati, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Vincent Onorati

Vincent Onorati Auditioning

Vincent
    I have a dual-LNB Sony dish and I'd like to add a 2nd rec'vr. I've looked on eBay and keep seeing Hughes units for sale "without a valid HU card." What does that mean? When I hook it up and call DirectTV, can they not activate my service without one? Will they send me a new card? I'm not looking for "illegal" cards I just want a cheap 2nd rec'vr. What are my options? Thanks.
    ------------------
    "All of life's riddles are answered in the movies." - Steve Martin, Grand Canyon

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

DirecTV will sell you a new card for about 80 bucks or so. Go to Wal-Mart and pick up a single LNB RCA system for $50.00 and just keep the extra dish in storage in case you move.
    Jeff

3. Vincent Onorati

Vincent
    So if I got to the Wiz and buy an RCA receiver for $100 I still have to pay another $80 for a card or will the receiver come with one?
    ------------------
    "All of life's riddles are answered in the movies." - Steve Martin, Grand Canyon

4. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Just for your info.
    DirecTV is shipping systems WITHOUT cards now to try and prevent from Satellite hacking, in order to get one you need to subscribe after getting your reciever and then they will courier you a HU card to your door, that way it is secure for them.

5. Vincent Onorati

Vincent
    Just spoke to DirecTV - they said a new card will cost $39. So either way I'm looking at approx $100 for a 2nd rec'r. Thanks for your responses.
    ------------------

6. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Agent

So...I take it from reading this thread that one cannot purchase a used receiver w/ a card and re-activate that card under the new user's account?
    ------------------
    Bob Lee

7. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Bob,
    You are correct once the card is used you can not transfer its ownership, you must buy a new one. If if you are the same owner, i.e., I just bought my DST-3000 and I couldn't transfer my card from my Sony A-50. I would have liked to done that because the card determines your account number and a new card means they have to create a new account for you. My understanding is the card sent with new receivers are already matched together?!
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

8. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

Things are changing at DirecTV.
    Traditionally the new cards in receivers are not married to the receiver and can be used anywhere. Traditionally once a card is activated it is tied to that account/person and that card can be bounced among receivers on that account.
    Lately they will not activate any H card anywhere. Old H cards are being canceled and you have to cough up $40 net ($90 charge + $40 refund when old card turned in). You can buy a whole new receiver for $50.
    Some of the newer receivers do not ship with a card in the box - you get a note to call DirecTV and they FedEx you a new card. Supposedly you are on the hook for some commitment and rumors say the card is married to that receiver.
    You can spot the receivers - the ones with cards in the box will have two different serial number type things (I think the card # is called a CAM number?) and the boxes with the note will have only the receivers serial number on it.
    Not sure if they let cards bounce around on a single account any more - I would assume not.