1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No Headphone Jack on Sony STR-ZA3000ES

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by HowardA, Mar 11, 2018.

1. HowardA

HowardA Auditioning

Hi

I a m trying to hook up my wireless Sennheiser RS180 headphones to the STR-ZA3000ES, with no success.One option would be to drive the headphones If I hook up to the dedicated zone 3 outputs, I can turn on zone three amp and select the proper source input , but get no sound. Are these preamp outs and I would also need a headphone amplifier between the receive

Another option, the manual says to use the (if unused, which mine are)) back surrounds for zone 2 to drive a second set of speakers, but how do convert the four speaker terminals to a 3.5mm RCA jack?

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can't use the speaker terminals under any circumstances. Any reason you can’t use the front L/R preamp outputs?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Doesn't connecting something to the pre-outs usually disconnect the amp for that channel, which would mean you can't use L/R speakers?

4. HowardA

HowardA Auditioning

Way more confusing than it should be. I have never had this problem before. I want to listen with headphones with speakers turned off. I don't understand why plugging the headphone charging base in to the zone or zone 3 RCA outputs isn't working.

5. JohnRice

John
    You probably need to configure the zone output in the receiver's setup menu.

6. HowardA

HowardA Auditioning

Perhaps but I turned on power to zone 2 (or 3) and set output to same zone, switched source to the proper source, so not sure what else to do.

7. JohnRice

John
    I've never used zone outputs, so that's all I have. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

8. Message #8 of 11 Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    You may have to configure the RCA outs on Zone 2 (misread this previously). They may not be automatically "hot". Go into your zone settings and confirm that your settings clearly show no back surrounds, then configure the zone in question.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Some receivers will only send analog signal sources to the secondary Zones. Check the manual.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Wayne is right about zone 3, it only supports analog inputs. Zone 2 will output HDMI source material. Connect to zone 2 and make sure to setup the audio out on the Sony to fixed so you get line level. Select the same source you are watching and you should have sound on the headphones.

Brian

11. HowardA

HowardA Auditioning

I did all of the above and no success. However, when I went into the HDMI Setup menu and changed the "Zone 2 Audio Out" from "Zone2 AMP" to either "Zone2 TV + AMP", or "AMP", success! Don't exactly know why but at least the headphones now work. If there is a reason I should be using one of the other, please let men know.

If anyone else ever tries this, it doesn’t seem to matter what "HDMI Out B Mode" is set to, nor "Priority"

Thanks, Howard