What's new

no HDTV but will a HDdecoder help me? (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
I have a front projector and I wanted to know if I got a HDdecoder if it would convert it to a signal my projector could use, via s-video. read some where that the decoders can convert to interlaced signals, therefore it might work on my projector.

anyone have any clue, and will it change the image quality???

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
All STB's can output either a S-video or composite signal. (Few can output both HD and SD at the same time, but all can do one or the other.) As to whether the picture will be better, it depends what you're using now. I had cable for my locals, and they were awful. Three years ago I got my first STB (and I did have an HDTV to go along with it), and I am able to pick up all the digital versions of my locals as well as the city 35 miles away (Boston) with perfect clarity. The picture is far above what I had gotten, and just this week I completely got rid of cable. Plus, with an STB, you will be able to see the "HD versions" of what is broadcast. That is, it will be wide screen. If you subscribe to DirecTV or DISH, you can also pick up their HD signals. They won't be in HD, but at least you can watch them. That is, Discovery HD or HDNet or HDNet Movies, which you won't otherwise get. Then, when you are ready to upgrade to an HDTV, you will be all set.

SMK

Geno

Supporting Actor
what is an STB?
and if i have a 4:3 proj will I have to convert from 4:3 to 16:9?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks