No HD channels with Rogers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elliott Willschick, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I have a Toshiba 40H80 and I just got Rogers HDTV. I got their latest set top box, Scientific Atlanta 3100. The tech guy checked everything on their side and there is not problem there. I cannot get any of the HD channels to display. I get black bars on the side an no picture in the middle.

I can hear the tv going into 1080i mode and I have a convergence grid in the service mode. The other channels come through perfectly on the component output but no HD. Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Elliott

2. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Get another 3100 to try.

3. Elliott Willschick

Actually the service tech did have another one and we got the same problem.

I finally got through to Rogers and they had me put the 3100 into a service menu type setting. It shows how strong the signal is and apparently my signal in the 700mhz range is very low. It is suppose to be between -12 to -8 and I have -20. Hopefully that's the problem. My biggest complaint is that the guys responsible for the connection usually take about ten days to do something about it as they respond to emergencies and stuff as well. I'll call back Saturday if nothing has been done and update the thread.

Thanks

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Do you recall if we hooked up the HD generator last time?
    You'd better get this fixed before I arrive man ... get to it. [​IMG]
    Regards [​IMG]

5. Elliott Willschick

We never hooked up the generator when you came because the screen was too messed up to even bother. I actually got the HD to make sure it wasn't screwed up before you came... I can see though, the service meny shows the 700mhz signal in red which means it's way too weak. I'll cross my fingers.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure that -20 is the lowest setting, so you're signal is actually off the charts. I've got the same problem at my house and Rogers has been "working on it" for a couple of months now. I bought a basic $30-ish cable signal amplifier and it does the trick, but it adds some noise to the analog channels and just barely brings the HD channels over the S/N threshold. If you want to get up and running, do the same, but don't let Rogers off the hook as you shouldn't need the amp.

7. Elliott Willschick

What model of cable amp did you get? I was considering that but I didn't think that it would boost the 700 mhz range as I thought that would be too new for an amp to boost.

As of today, the signal of the regular digital channels is so low that they don't come in either.

Does anyone know if the 3100 outputs a 1080i signal all of the time on component? I think it does because the tv clicks before it displays the signal and the pic mode can't be changed to tw1 or full and I get the service mode convergence grid.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I didn't really shop around - I just bought the best that a local distributor had available. In this case it's a 20db amp from a company called "Provo" - model AMP-2. It's signal range is rated from 50 - 900MHz. Radio Shack's #15-1118 might work fine, but the web site is lacking in specs. If you want one of these Provo units, let me know.