What's new

No Great Pumpkin this year? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope the 4k set gets a reprint. I dragged my feet on it in part due to having no issues with the presentation on Warner's DVD iterations of their holiday specials, but would still like to own physical editions of some of my favorites in high-definition.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What I'm wondering with the Apple TV+ deal, is will each holiday special only be available seasonally, or once each special premieres on the service will it stay there all year long?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My understanding is that they’ll all be there year round for subscribers, but will also be free for non-subscribers to view for a 48ish hour window around the specific holiday each one celebrates.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree with Josh's interpretation. Because it's a streaming service and not linear television, there is really no reason for them to disappear. They should remain there for however many years Apple TV+ locked up the rights to them, which is probably a long time.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Did anyone that bought the 4k set have their digital copies redeem in 4k?

Vudu and Warner bros refuse to help me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My response from Vudu on my 4k digital copy code from the 4k UHd Blu ray set:

Thank you for contacting Vudu Customer Care.

Correct, this title was redeemed on your Vudu account on 10/27/2019 as digital copy on HDX definition, Digital copy code redemption is usually made in HDX if not specified in the code slip that the redemption is for UHD. The purchase of a 4K UHD movie does not guarantee the digital copy in the same definition, with out the redemption code slip there is not much we can do to further assist you on this matter.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Amazon started accepting orders again for the 4k set, so I placed an order a week ago. My set shipped today. Glad to see I didn't miss my chance after all.

At this point for classic Peanuts releases on DVD/Blu-Ray in North America (While arbitrary and my rules only, I consider 2011's 'Happiness Is a Warm Blanket' the end at this point in time), I have the definitive version of almost all of it. All I need is the Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show, 'This is America, Charlie Brown', the long out of print Paramount release of 'It's the Pied Piper, Charlie Brown', and to upgrade to the Blu-Ray for 'Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown'.

Then there's still I believe 6 classic tv specials that never hit DVD in North America, at least two of which I believe saw release on DVD in other regions (I'll have to import those one of these days).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wasn't ready for Thanksgiving yet so tonight I watched Charlie Brown's All Stars. I've always loved this second-ever Peanuts special, and after not having watched it for several years, it made me laugh all over again, and the ending is as feel good as Christmas.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Then there's still I believe 6 classic tv specials that never hit DVD in North America, at least two of which I believe saw release on DVD in other regions (I'll have to import those one of these days).

Which, just out of curiosity?
(Having given up any hope of the non-holiday Decade Collection boxsets ever coming to Blu, or back again at all... :( )

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was mistaken, it's apparently only 5 that are absent. Below are the missing tv specials on DVD in North America. The first two are on DVD in Europe and Australia.

It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown (1983)​
Snoopy: The Musical (1988)​
It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown (1988)​
You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown (1994)​
It Was My Best Birthday Ever, Charlie Brown (1997)​

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, it looks like either Apple or the Peanuts licensers heard the complaints about Great Pumpkin. Obviously, this deal is too late for that special this year, but hopefully PBS will carry it next October as well.

It is good to have some small semblance of order restored to 2020.

I'm still glad this finally pushed me to order the discs and I will probably watch those instead of the linear airing, but it is wonderful to have them available again for those who don't stream.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Now everyone who complained be sure to contribute to your local PBS station, who made this possible . And commercial free too!
1605739290697.png

1605739175191.png

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I was mistaken, it's apparently only 5 that are absent. Below are the missing tv specials on DVD in North America. The first two are on DVD in Europe and Australia.

It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown (1983)​
Snoopy: The Musical (1988)​
It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown (1988)​
You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown (1994)​
It Was My Best Birthday Ever, Charlie Brown (1997)​

The animated "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" is on DVD?
Well, it looks like either Apple or the Peanuts licensers heard the complaints about Great Pumpkin.

Mostly Apple. Another minor Waterloo, in the continuing corporate Streaming Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks