What's new

No Great Pumpkin this year? (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm sure this has no connection but I decided to buy "Peanuts Every Sunday-The 1960s" gift set ( it's the Sunday comics in color) from Fantagraphics and noticed that it's out of stock everywhere and selling on the secondary market for big bucks. Same with "Peanuts Every Sunday-The 1970s". You can get the individual volumes but I like the slipcase they came in. I emailed Fantagraphics and they said they had no plans to reprint. Now I'm kicking myself thinking I had plenty of time. As far as watching the holiday specials on tv, my son likes doing it but I'd rather watch the unedited versions on dvd/blu ray. Was hoping one day Warners would remaster the original Dolly Madison opening and closing and add it back in but I guess that's a pipedream.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just saw this version:

For a few $$ more you get UHD, BR, and UV copies of the three specials. Comments about the UHD versions aren't so good but there are the UV codes. Also - the included extras are different so that could be good or bad depending on which you prefer. This one has "Charlie Brown's All-Stars" which I prefer over the ones on the BR only set(s). FWIW, I know nothing about this one other than what's posted and the "reviews" on Amazon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw this at Walmart last weekend for $40. Almost picked it up, but I already have 3 of the 6 so it seemed a little pricey for only 3 new shorts.

1603815962977.png

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Were they ever MA? Most TV shows aren't. The Digitals still redeem in Vudu

I'm looking at the back covers of those with digital and the digital sheets themselves and no mention of MA anywhere

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Only Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown Christmas were MA, I believe. What is strange is that Vudu and FandangoNow show these two as still being MA, but they are not in my MA library and the rep at MA that I spoke with said that these were MA at one time, but were removed very recently.

Great-Pumpkin.jpg
Charlie-Brown-Xmas.jpg

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Were they ever MA? Most TV shows aren't. The Digitals still redeem in Vudu

I'm looking at the back covers of those with digital and the digital sheets themselves and no mention of MA anywhere

They got classified as movies and put in MA for a fairly small window last year. I want to say it was timed around the 4K releases? Purchases or redemptions prior to that were TV shows, I believe.

I still have both specials in my MA account.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
Another holiday viewing ritual disappears...(although ABC always edited out Snoopy at the piano tapping to World war one songs) and as for putting the show in a drawer for “bullying”, don’t forget to add Fat Albert (Negative body type issues), Road Runner (Violence & coyote animal cruelty), Pepe’Le Pew (Sexual pedator), etc. I certainly hope that high horse you’re on isn’t “Quick Draw Mcgraw” (Premature eja********)...Let’s get rid of them all...???

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Apparently, MA rights have been removed from the Peanuts specials, even if you already owned them\.
Don‘t start getting people in a panic. Nobody is losing any purchases. The two that I bought digitally, Be My Valentine and Easter Beagle are still in my MA library as well as on every partnered service.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I really don't get the hate towards Apple on this one.
I do not see anything wrong with Apple controlling subscription streaming rights to the specials. But there is a difference between them having the exclusive rights to new specials which they will produce (which they also do) and the original specials being taken away from broadcast.

What I would have done if I owned the rights is give Apple the exclusive streaming rights, and then carve out another window for a network (ABC/CBS/whatever) to carry the specials as a linear television broadcast only.

Partly it's the whole Streaming-Fatigue perception of AppleTV trying to be an original-programming "player" among the other subscription networks (do you watch them??), when we were perfectly fine with it being a download-store, and realizing this is only the thin end of the wedge for little inferiority-complexed streaming services to start spending more money taking on the big guys, and leaving us all hostage in the middle.

That's the way it was when HBO and Showtime started fighting over "exclusives" in the 80's, or the Blu/HD and Blu3D format-wars fighting over studio loyalties. The fighting always seems to get a lot more intense and bloodthirsty when NOBODY'S BUYING.

Another holiday viewing ritual disappears...(although ABC always edited out Snoopy at the piano tapping to World war one songs)

Before we go into more wacky cultural-deconstruction jokes, Schroeder playing WWI hits for the Flying Ace was always shaved for TIME, since 60's specials originally ran about six minutes longer with fewer commercials.

(As I discovered when I tried to buy the Blu upgrade of a classic Rankin-Bass holiday special, only to find that their digital print source was the network HDTV print, with ten minutes chopped out. Fortunately I still had my fully-restored DVD from the 00's.)

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The specials were not just in print in disc but in 4k. They'd even started working on non-holiday specials if Flashbeagle got included in the mix.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I did redeem the peanuts specials in 4k with the set last year. However vudu now shows that I only have hdx?

It seems that iTunes also shows the Christmas episode in HD only as well...

Odd!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I did redeem the peanuts specials in 4k with the set last year. However vudu now shows that I only have hdx?

Odd!
Well if you and Todd Irwin are now having access issues then maybe Movies Anywhere has done something screwy with those code redemptions. All I can say is the two titles that I purchased in 4K at iTunes are still 4K in all the services that had them in 4K to begin with.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Odd!
I just redeemed my 4K codes last week. I just played all three movies in 4K/HDR on Vudu and on iTunes they're in 4K/Dolby Vision.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I just watched the Blu-ray. It is a very pleasing transfer, and seeing it without ads was nice. I still think it's a major loss for network television, but it is nice to have the disc.

I'm so used to ABC airing this with You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown in the second half hour that it was a bit jarring that that one isn't on the same disc. I guess I'll have to buy that separately whenever the discs are restocked, but even it seems sold out everywhere I look now.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'm so used to ABC airing this with You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown in the second half hour that it was a bit jarring that that one isn't on the same disc. I guess I'll have to buy that separately whenever the discs are restocked, but even it seems sold out everywhere I look now.

Nope, only Blu masters Warner had were the ones originally released during an election year (was it '08?), and they thought they could sell Elected as its own disk.
Even though, yes, it does make more sense as a companion episode than "It's Magic, Charlie Brown".

CtToI, I wouldn't put it past them to try it again THIS year.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
OK - Movies Anywhere support has gotten back to me regarding the Peanuts Specials not appearing on Movies Anywhere:

Hi Todd,

We have escalated your case and it seems that your original purchase/redemption was from 2017, for the version of the movies that is not eligible for Movies Anywhere.

From VUDU, only the "digital deluxe editions" released in in 2019 are eligible to port over. Please note that the original transaction must reflect that in order to be eligible to port. If the platform has given you viewing privileges for the deluxe edition without issuing a transaction for it, the system won't port over those titles and those titles will only be accessible through VUDU.

Best wishes,

Ellie,
Movies Anywhere Customer Care

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's too late for a 4k remaster or Blu-ray reissue of You're Not Elected for this cycle. Consider that it first aired in 1972 and leave it at that.

The one reason I suspect Warner paired It's Magic with Great Pumpkin is that Halloween = occult = magic. And technically, the latter isn't uncut without this:

or this

Those never would have aired concurrently with the 1973-1991 CBS SPECIAL logo.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I recall that Coke was also a sponsor on the Christmas special too.

I saw last night that great pumpkin is now free to view on Apple TV right now. I have Apple TV 4K device but do not subscribe to the service. I was able to view the special.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
OK - Movies Anywhere support has gotten back to me regarding the Peanuts Specials not appearing on Movies Anywhere:

Please let me know if you hear anything further.

I contacted Warner bros today about my 4k set that I bought last year.

Again I have the episodes on the services but I’m not seeing them in 4k on vudu, movies anywhere or iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks