What's new

No grain at all on 'THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS' dvd, how? (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, when it comes to the video quality of a DVD, there is no better reviewer than your own two eyes
Exactly!

Some reason film is the "de facto" when it comes to movies.

Yes I know It's better then a current video standards, not to mention it is shot on film as well,however,I don't know about you but film doesn't even come close[at least all the presentations I've seen,and I've seen a lot] to the human eye,so naturally that's where digital technology should take aim at not film,which looks quiet different,then what you see through your eyes.

I certainly don't see any "grain" but I see fine details.

Just out of curiosity.What part of FATF has lost details,and who has the film to compare to that?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Scott, film grain has nothing to do with contrast. If you crank up the contrast for the film you will lose detail, higher contrast always lowers detail levels. High contrast gives a sharp edge between light and dark, low contrast would give a softer edge because of greater shading.

The speed of the film is determined by the ability of the film to pick up enough light for a proper exposure. Large grains pick up light faster than smaller grains.

There are many different film stocks, with varying sizes of grains. And yes, there are high grain fast speed film stock, but they are expensive. To a movie theater this cost is not major but it is pretty big. Big enough that some movies get shot in the second choice stock, because of the costs on the first choice.

In a movie with lots of dark scenes you'd want a faster film. The cinematographer know how each and every film type will look on the screen, that's his/her job. They also shoot test clips for directors if needed.

And I'm sure the director and cinematographer sat down and discussed this before shooting began.

One thing is for sure, I now want to experience this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks