No Good Deed: fullscreen only?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveGon, Nov 19, 2003.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Okay, I rented No Good Deed today. The DVD case says the film is presented in its OAR of 1.85:1. I get home, pop the disc in my player, and I see the "...formatted to fit your screen..." notice. I figured the video store had screwed up and checked the disc but there is nothing on it to indicate either widescreen or fullscreen. I checked the disc specs on Amazon and they have it listed as a fullscreen release. What gives, Columbia?

Well, I watched it anyway as it stars Milla Jovovich and with it being fullscreen I guess I got to see a little more of her during that shower exit scene. [​IMG]

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Steve,

I got it from Netflix and was annoyed to see it in Fullscreen. Seems the back of the box is wrong! [​IMG]

3. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Never heard of it! Any good?

4. SteveGon

Martin: it's a decent noir, worth a look if you're willing to watch it non-OAR. [​IMG]

5. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Their research has indicated that families and children will enjoy the fullscreen version.

6. SteveGon

Sarcasm aside, while mistakes happen, this is a real blunder. Very sloppy...

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

It's not really a successful film as a whole, but there are a handful of things that might make it worth 90 minutes once it pops up on cable:

Stellan Skarsgard is clearly having a lot of fun portraying an old-fashioned, hard-boiled, thin-mustachioed, noir-type villain.

Milla Jovovich is as achingly gorgeous as ever, plus she actually acquits herself fairly well here. Those who found her underwhelming in The Fifth Element or The Messenger may notice a marked improvement in her acting skills. Plus...good lord she's gorgeous.

Sam Jackson gives an oddly muted performance. Frankly it's not nearly among his best work.

The screenplay (based on an old Dashiell Hammett story) wavers between crafty/compelling and outlandish/unconvincing. Plot holes abound, the flick drags noticably on occasion, character motivations shift arcanely...much of the flick is a mess.

But it's not really awful or anything. One would certainly expect something a bit more cohesive from a director like Bob Rafelson, though.

...or, based on Rafelson's work over the past 10+ years, perhaps one wouldn't. [​IMG]