What's new

no FOREIGN LANGUAGE Network? (1 Viewer)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I don't know, but lately I've really been digging foreign films. The makers of these pictures seem to know how to tell a story, unlike any Hollywood picture out there, who seem to have forgotten that a good story is what its all about. Not explosions and high-flying action.

The few foreign films I've seen lately include Maria Full of Grace, Central Station, and Amores Perros. Also Infernal Affairs. Great character-driven pictures, and even though I have to read the subtitles, I don't mind because the acting and situations are so great.

I wonder if they ever plan to create a network for foreign films - uncut and commercial-free ala TCM.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Now that's interesting. I'd submit that for all the faults of the industry, at it's best, no one tells a good story like Hollywood. Hollywood owns the strong narrative. In general the strength of foreign films lies elsewhere.

Broad generalizations of course.

--
H

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You realize, of course, that foreign countries make crap in about the same proportions as the U.S., and it just doesn't get imported? And that there are plenty of small, independent productions in the U.S. if you know where to look (like Maria Full of Grace, an American co-production made by a guy born and raised in Los Angeles)?

That said, IFC is absolutely great for that sort of thing - good movies from all around the world. I imagine Sundance is similar.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I had assumed it was a Columbian production
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Anyway, while this is TV thread, the obvious suggestion is Netflix still. Or Greencine (never tried it).

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks