No extras on Ali dvd...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bry_DD, May 4, 2002.

1. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Hi all. I just finish watching this movie and I notice there's no extra what so ever on this dvd except the trailers. Is there a SE coming out that's why this one is bare bone? Sorry if this is covered before hereI didn't see anything after I did a search here.

thanks,

Bry

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Director Michael Mann does not support added-value elements...even promotional materials such as trailers. However, he does not force distributors to stick to his principles.

Mann has allowed featurettes on Manhunter and The Insider. Mann has also allowed trailers on Heat, Manhunter, The Insider, and Thief. Mann does not appear in any featurettes for his films.

But the one DVD project he did oversee himself, The Last of The Mohicans has no supplemental or promotional material.

Michael Mann did record an audio commentary with James Cann for the laserdisc release of Thief. This commentary was carried over the Thief DVD release. To this date, it remains the only supplemental item he ever participated in.

3. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

The UK region 2 release will be a two disk set with a DTS soundtrack, a making-of, behind the scenes footage and soundbites. The release is handled by a company called Entertainment in Video, not Columbia Tristar, so I have no idea if a similar release will make it to region 1.

4. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Knowing about the extras outside R1, I decided to hold off and see if Columbia might be pulling a "Black Hawk Down" and releasing a Special Edition down the road.

I truly dislike this policy - it discourages picking up the first run of a title, and punishes early purchasers.

So for now, Columbia has lost a sale from me. I wonder how many others are holding off.

Bleddyn

5. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Count me as one that will hold off buying this title, especially if it's as bare boned as I see it is. [​IMG]
    I'll rent it, and hope for a SE down the line....

6. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I wasn't aware of this anti-extras stance by Mann. I'm grateful that we have a very entertaining commentary by him (and Caan) for my favorite film by him, Thief.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Columbia is not going to get one dime from me concerning Ali or Blackhawk Down until I see a special edition or a Superbit Deluxe title. I really resent this sales policy and wish it would stop. I absolutely refuse to buy barebones releases for major films...I want extras for my hard-earned dollars. Columbia, are you listening?[​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't see the problem. It takes time to make uber-SEs, and with Black Hawk Down they FORMALLY announced the SE 3 months before the bare-bones release

There will never be an SE of Ali is my guess, given Mann's stance

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Shouldn't a person make a purchase for the movie first and extras second. I bought Watership Down even though the "extras" on that disc were garbage because I wanted a copy of the movie. I would have bought it even without the "extras" because it is the movie that is the most important.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

A movie like Ali, ESPECIALLY with all the prep that was done SCREAMS for extras. Movie is first, yes, but if I'm shakey on whether I should buy or rent, quality extras usually push to buy

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Erwin - absolutely a fine copy of the movie is paramount. If there were simply a nice transfer and trailer in all regions, no problem.
    The issue is that extras seem to exist for this title elsewhere, and some of us would like to buy the best available version. I would rather wait and see than buy bare-bones now and have perhaps Columbia reissue the title later, with extras I could buy now by going outside R1.
    Another option is simply buying R2, provided all other things (like transfer) are equal.
    Bleddyn

12. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

One of our readers sent in this link to the British Board of Film Classification website where they list the added value features for the upcoming Region 2 Ali DVD. Most likely, Columbia will release a Special Edition in the US with similar features.
    Here's the site.

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Knowing Mann's dedication to avoiding extras in general, it's no big deal. However, the trailers that are on the disc are all anamorphic and in 5.1 audio (Spider-Man, MIB2 and Ali)-a nice touch.

Bruce