What's new

No DVD in case. (1 Viewer)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Just bringing up an old post. I just opened the LOTR - FOTR:EE that my loving wife got for my B-day. Out of the 4 discs, I only got two. Disc 1 & 2 are there but no 3 & 4. I will now get the joy of going back to Target and see what happens.

We are newbies to DVD (got a DVD player under the tree now for Christmas, so I can't even watch the movies until then) so this is a big eye opener.

It seems this is a rare event, I hope at least.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Just bringing up an old post. I just opened the LOTR - FOTR:EE that my loving wife got for my B-day. Out of the 4 discs, I only got two. Disc 1 & 2 are there but no 3 & 4. I will now get the joy of going back to Target and see what happens.

We are newbies to DVD (got a DVD player under the tree now for Christmas, so I can't even watch the movies until then) so this is a big eye opener.

It seems this is a rare event, I hope at least.
Don't worry, it IS a rare event. I've got close to 400 DVDs and have never had this happen. I've had to return a few for quality reasons, but I've always gotten the discs.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I had this happen with a CD, the set for Phantom of the Opera had no disk 2. I had this happen once for a DVD (out of 1000) but I can't remember what title it was...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought The Wizard Of Oz Collector's Box Set only to unwrap the plastic and have the entire box fall apart and collapse into seperate pieces of cardboard right before my eyes. I brought it back within 15 minutes of purchase and of course... it was the last one in stock. They wouldn't refund my payment however they placed a new set on order for me at no charge. I've been waiting one month already and my patience is wearing thin...

:angry:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
After much complaining the manager relented and refunded my money.
but didnt you actually want the dvd? you bought it, i dont understand why you didnt accept an exchange. i guess if you want to pull the 'principal of the situation' but its not like the store intentionally screwed you out of a dvd. and if you wanted to use that reason, thats fine, but you didnt mention buying the dvd elsewhere. so did you get the dvd elsewhere, or just buy the empty case and return it and forget about your intention to get the dvd in the first place?

CJ

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"We are newbies to DVD (got a DVD player under the tree now for Christmas, so I can't even watch the movies until then) so this is a big eye opener."

I think all of us here agree that Christmas should be early for you. OPEN THAT BOX UP!!! Especially if you have the extended Two Towers. :D

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
CJ,

If you read the first post again, I think that the DVD was the last one. They didn't have anymore in stock, so an exchange wasn't possible.

Matt

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Well, went to Target and they gladly gave me a new boxed set, they did have to open it there on the spot though, which was fine to me. Got it home and looked at them all, the first disc has a small scratch on it :frowning: , but placed it in my dvd-rom drive on the computer (the dvd player under the tree is to be opened by the kids) and it played fine on my computer, so I figure I'm ok.

Great Forum you guys have here, but reading some horror stories about missing DVD;s, artifacts, chroma bugs, dvd's not playing in certain machines, makes me wonder if I should just stick to VHS :)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
It is definately a frustrating experience when they make you feel like a thief and all.
I only make customers feel like thieves when they claim an item is missing or defective and they DON'T want an exchange for the same title. That is a signal to me that something is up. I mean if you didn't want it why did you buy it in the first place.

In my thirteen plus years working for music retailers I have seen all the defects. Empty cases, wrong discs in cases, the wrong music on correctly labeled cds and cassettes etc.

If we didn't have a replacement I happily refunded thier money even if it didn't adhere to our posted policy. I hate the places that force you to take thier store credit when they don't have a replacement.

--ian

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ALMOST had this happen to me.

I was shopping at my local BestBuy for a copy of Terminator 1. They had just one copy. I snatched it up and took it to the register. The checkout guy noticed that the outside plastic was split along the opening of the keepcase. I never even noticed. He said it happens quite often. People slice 'em quick and lift the disc. Now, when I've been in different stores, I've noticed open, empty boxes laying around. Amazing!

If the clerk hadn't noticed, I almost certainly would have opened the package at home only to find--no disc!

Odd thing is, I still felt embarassed at the register, like I had done something wrong--though why would I try to buy an empty keepcase?!?! :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've never had this happen to me, and hope it doesn't anytime soon that must be a real hassle.

Great Forum you guys have here, but reading some horror stories about missing DVD;s, artifacts, chroma bugs, dvd's not playing in certain machines, makes
me wonder if I should just stick to VHS
Obviously, the benefits outway the horror stories, and for me its all worth it because up to this point I've never had to have a texas death match with a DVD player because it tried to eat a disc. But I've gone a few rounds with VCR's that have a hankerin for some video tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks