No DVD in case.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frank PW, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Frank PW

Frank PW Stunt Coordinator

If you open the case and the DVD is not inside should you get an in store credit, a refund or if they have one a replacement disk?

This happened to me recently and unfortunately they didn’t have another copy in the store. They offered me an in store credit, which I thought was a little restrictive.

I felt I should have been refunded since I never received the product. Their return policy clearly states that opened software or DVD, CD etc can only be exchanged for that same product or an in store credit. Technically I never received the software.

What’s the fair way to solve this?

F

2. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Well, the classic question here is did you save your receipt? If you did then they have to give you cash back altho the product not actually being in there is enough for me to demand a full refund.

Try asking for the store manager. They're usually more reasonable than the flunkies.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Not on opened movies/music/software. Same title exchange only.

In this case, they have no way of knowing whether the disc was in the case or not. You could be trying to rip them off. So, a store credit represents less of a loss than if they were to refund your cash.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

This has only happened to me once. It was in a Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai , Way of the Gun 2-pack. I had the reciept and was able to get a new copy (or copies, I returned both movies for a new 2-pack).

The store (FYE) didn't even question the missing movie! This can only mean that Artisan has a history of empty DVD boxes or the cashier didn't care that I coul have possibly been keeping the movie and returning the box.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Frank... let me guess. Future Shop?

The product is open. They, unfortunatly, have no way of knowing if you did or did not get the disc in question. Their store policy is very clear. If the package is open, straight exchange, or store credit. I highly doubt there is anything you can do. Sorry.

6. Frank PW

I had my receipt. As a matter of fact an hour had elapsed between the purchase and the return.

I've done a fair bit of busniess with this store so I guess honesty has to come into play some where along the line.

After much complaining the manager relented and refunded my money.

F

7. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

8. Frank PW

This all happened on a day when I was busy as hell. I ran in there to get a refund and they said that the best they could do would be a store credit. I was in such a hurry that I just took it and left. I figured I'll use it anyway so what's the difference.

But a few days later the old "principal of the thing" crept into my head. I gave them my money to buy something that wasn’t in the case. Why should they get to keep my money? If you bought a suit and the pockets had holes in them and you took it back but they told you that they didn’t have any more in your size but would be happy to give you a store credit would you accept it? I think not.

That's when I called the manager.

9. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

This happened to me recently with the Kino MAN WHO LAUGHS(not an easy title to find to begin with). I purchased it at Tower,and they did refund my money, since they didn't have another copy of the movie.

10. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

This just happened to me two weeks ago with the re-release of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I took it back to BB, they were skeptical, but allowed me to get another copy anyway. The problem is it makes you look bad, like you are ripping them off and they HAVE to oblige the return. I was the one ripped off and had to go back to the store to get a proper disk. It's a shame, but at least it has only happened to me once and will probably never happen again. *crosses fingers*

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Didn't mean to cause you stress guys, if you want your discs back, just let me know [​IMG]

12. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] DAMN! I knew they were going somewhere!

13. Patrick_M

Patrick_M Stunt Coordinator

This happened to me once, when I bought the two disc edition of Tron from Target...they were not going to exchange or refund..they tried to give me same lame 1-800 number. After calling and listening to a recording (the number did not even connect to human, just listed an address to send the package in). I called up Target again. The gal on the phone tried to give me trouble, so I inisisted on talking to the store manager. They finally agreed to the exchange. It is definately a frustrating experience when they make you feel like a thief and all.

14. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Keep this from occurring..........

SHAKE...SHAKE....SHAKE...Shake Your Keep Case! Shake Your Keep Case!!

Shake, shake.... [​IMG]

"Shake For Your Own Sake" is the motto needed to be employed here. Listen for the rattle of the disc on the hub.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(Now I'll never get KC & The Proverbial S'shine Band out of my head. [​IMG])

16. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    One lesson to be learned here is always open your packages when you get them home, even if you're not going to watch them right away. I always open them, check to make sure the label(s) indicate that I got the right disc(s) and verify that there's no visible damage to the disc(s). Most problems with DVDs can be verified without actually viewing them.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Definitely. Just the other day I opened my "Back to the Future" set that I bought about a year ago and found that inside the keepcase are two copies of BTTF 2, one copy of BTTF 3, and zero copies of BTTF 1. [​IMG]

To add insult to injury, the second copy of BTTF 2 has a horribly blurred silk-screen print on it and the playing surface was scuffed and had fingerprints. People working in the manufacturing plants must think it's a huge joke to mix up these multi-disc sets. [​IMG]

18. Frank PW

Thats' good advice Dave. As a matter of fact a friend of mine mentioned that idea.

They do make you feel like a common criminal. The manager said that he had no doubt that I never received the disk. I guess their out the money at that point.

From the looks of things it's pretty rare. It's shake shake shake from now on.

F

19. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I once ordered a disc from (I think) DVD Empire.com. The box came. I unsealed it, and inside were the invoice, the air-pillow-packing material, and... nothing else!

I called them and they sent me a new one with a minimum of trouble (getting them to realize that there was no disc at all was the tough part.)

Jimmy!

20. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

It's more likely that they're minimum-wage employees who are sleep-deprived from working two jobs and dizzy from eating a bag of corn chips for lunch. (I'm not kidding.)

Jan