No DTS with HK Sig 2.0? Help...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John LaB, Jan 6, 2002.

1. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I finally gave up on waiting for a 950, and replaced my old Pro Logic reciever with a HK Sig 2.0 Pre-amp. I couldnt resist the 399 sticker, so I figured I would check it out.

Well, it sounds fantastic in DD, but it doesnt make a peep when I try and play a DVD in DTS. My DVD player is a little old, and I lost the instructions when moving, but it says DTS on the front panel. It is a pioneer DV-414.

I have it connected to the 2.0 via composite. I've tried a couple of different things to get it to work, like setting up a seperate input with DTS as the default. But no luck, not a sound. The video is routed directly to the tv, so no problems there.

For what it's worth, the 2.0 makes a buzz/clicking noise through the rears when changing the volume or inputs. I already have a call in to Don Popham in Co., but I'm looking for any ideas in the meantime.

Thanks,

-jpl

2. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Did you turn on DTS output from within the DVD player's setup menu?

3. John LaB

John LaB Agent

There really doesnt seem to be an option. There is a small setup menu with some video features, i.e. standard, cinema...

But nothing that would seem intuitive where I would enable DTS. I would think by playing the DTS section of the DVD, the player should pass the bitstream to the pre-amp.

There are 2 digitial outs, one comp. and one toslink.

I'm stumped...

-jpl

4. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Ya know, I just noticed you're in Hoboken, NJ. Hello there neighbor.[​IMG]
    Actually, many DVD players do not have DTS output turned on by default. It must be manually turned on in the setup menu. However, based on your previous response, it sounds like you already checked this.
    Another thing comes to mind when I read your quote:

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

You may have the wrong input # or an analog input assigned in the Source Menu of the 2.0. As far as the noise,, some people have mentioned the digital noise in thier speakers with the 2.0 when changing inputs or adjusting volume. Unless its very loud I wouldent worry about it.

6. John LaB

John LaB Agent

Ooops, I did mean coax. Sorry, it was a long weekend and I just wasnt paying attention by Sunday evening.

I set up two digital sources, one with DD5.1 as the default, the other with DTS5.1 as a default, both using the same coax input.

When I use the DD input without changing it, the pre-amp blinks DD. So it seems that it recognizes that the incorrect mode is selected. But when I change the mode to DTS, i get no sound.

If I use the source that defaults to DTS, not a peep.

Hmmm...

-jpl

7. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

8. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

John,

Since you are used to DPL, you probably don't know that to play DTS you have to "select" DTS everytime you play a DTS DVD.

Look in the Languages, Audio or Effects menu before you play the DVD. In there you will find the ability to "select" DD or DTS.

Sounds to me like you haven't been doing this and it will not play DTS unless you do. It is in the menu of every DVD that offers DTS option.

John Casler

9. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

10. John A. Casler

John,

Well I think you solved your problem then. Sounds like the DVD player.

I hope I explained my suggestion well. What with all the menus and all.

You have to check:

1) Receiver set up menu (plus correct digital input selected)

2) DVD player menu (to make sure the signal is snet through the correct output)

3) DVD menu (usually the language menu but soemtimes called the audio menu- to make sure the DTS tracks are selected)

All three have to have DTS selected for the DTS function to work.

If you player is so old that it doesn't allow you to select language option off the DVD menu (not DVD Player menu) then you may have to "give it up" for a new one.

Good Luck

John Casler

11. John LaB

John LaB Agent

Thanks for the input guys, you were right on. There was another menu which was a little less intuitive finding. Once I drove home to get the instructions to the DVD player, it became crystal clear [​IMG]
    John A. was right on, coming from DPL, I was new to DTS. Didnt realize there was more to it than just selecting it from the audio tracks.
    I cant believe I didnt know how to work my own system though. I promise I wont let that happen again. [​IMG]
    -jpl

12. John A. Casler

That's why's we's here!

I think we would all be surprised if we knew "ALL" the things our equipment is capable of.

John A. Casler