What's new

No DTS signal. (1 Viewer)

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I have a Toshiba SD-2300 DVD player and a Yamaha HTR-5450 receiver. My problem is that when I watch a DVD I switch the receiver from Dolby Digital to DTS I get no sound. I have the DVD player hooked up to the reciever using the digital imput since my DVD player doesn't not have optical outputs. Since the digital imput is labeled CD, I changed the I/O Assign to DVD, but still no signal. Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Andrew is my brother, and we have both been working on this problem over the phone tonight, because we both have Toshiba DVD players and both have Yamaha receivers. The problem is, my DVD player has a toslink (optical) out and his only has a coax digital out. The default digital input for DVD on Yamaha receivers is optical, so I am just using the optical connection, but he cant because his player has not optical out. He has successfully assigned the coax input the is normally for CD to DVD, because he gets a digital bitstream through this input, and Dolby Digital works fine. There is no way to disable DTS output on the Toshiba players as far as I know, so I cant think what else the problem might be. Is it possible that only the optical input on his receiver will except DTS input (I doubt it) Does anyone else have 5450 that they are using the CD coax input and getting DTS?

John Royster

Screenwriter
Have you selected the DTS audio track on your DVD player?

You say that DD5.1 works fine so I'm guessing the DVD player is not setup correctly for DTS and/or you have not selected the DTS track on your DVDs throught the disc's menu. I'm not familiar with your player but there should be a secion for setting up the digital output for DTS...lots of players need to be setup first.

If you switch your receiver to decode a DTS signal then it is expecting a DTS digital signal. If your DVD is still outputting a DD5.1 signal then you won't get any sound at all Also many discs do not have a DTS track. Check the DVD menu under audio or languages.

hope this helps. dolby digital and DTS are two completely different formats.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know about Toshiba, but some Panasonic DVD players (the RV31 for one) come with DTS set to "off". You might verify that DTS is set to Bitstream in the Toshiba's set up menu.

Nick

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Folks,
If the the dvd player is set to BITSTREAM, the problem is the receiver. The Yamaha's default setting for decoding DTS is OFF, just set it to ON.
:)
-RL-

Luis A

Second Unit
Andrew,
Have you selected DTS from the DVD itself? On a DVD that has both Dolby Digital, and DTS, the Dolby Track is the default. You will have to go into the disc, not the player, language or setup options to select the DTS track.
Also, a DTS bitstream will pass through an optical, and coaxial cable.
I'm curious why you have the coaxial cable going into the "CD in" on the receiver instead of the "DVD in"? I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but it's possible.:)
L

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Not to hijack this thread, but like I said, Andrew is my brother and I have been trying with little luck to help him out with this. He is most definately selecting the DTS track, and he is getting no sound. He can get the DD track off the same DVD just fine. The reason he is using the CD in is becase the DVD in on the receiver is optical, and his DVD player has a coax digital out. The Yamaha receiver allows for this by allowing for I/O reassigning. Which basically just means that when he pushes the DVD button the remote, it switches to the cd input where its hooked up instead of the empty DVD input. I have no idea what to do to figure this out now.

John Royster

Screenwriter
still sounds like a DVD setup issue to me. I'm really trying to help here but have you tried reading the manual? Sometimes there is very fine print on how to setup your digital output. My panasonic had to be specifically setup for DTS output.
Link Removed

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I have class this morning, but when I get back i'll mess around some more and see what I can come up with. I actuall emaialed Yamaha, so i'll see if they email me back or not. I'll let you all know.

Joe R

Auditioning
Andrew that is so odd that Yamaha would only have optical for the 5450.I have the 5250 which preceded the 5450 and it has both coaxial and optical for dvd.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, we got it, case closed. It was mostly a newbie/misunderstanding deal. I didnt check exactly what steps he was doing. I think he thought that the DTS and DD bitsream were output at the same time, an all he had to do was switch the Yamaha from auto to DTS. We went through the steps of switching the DVD to the DTS track, and it worked fine. I also think to add to the confusion, that one of his disks is mislabled as having a DTS track when it doesnt. Thanks for the help guys.

John Royster

Screenwriter
cool. :D
Just remember, it gets even more confusing as you add more gear and more formats/sources (SACD, Digital audio games, HDTV) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks