No DTS on Panny RV31U-K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SalMaglie, Nov 22, 2001.

1. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Shrek DVD and after sticking it into my Panasonic RV31U-K, and setting my Denon 1802 to DTS, I didn't get any sound out of my speakers. I grabbed the manual for the Panasonic and it said that it didn't support DTS. Is this right, or should I be able to get DTS sound from this setup?

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Sal, as odd as it may seem, the RV31 comes with DTS disabled. You need to go to the RV31 setup menu and enable the DTS. I went through the same thing you are when I first put a DTS DVD in my RV31. Enjoy.

Regards, Nick

3. SalMaglie

Forgot to mention that I already did that. Pressed "Action" on the remote, went to the Audio menu next, and then set DTS to "bitstream". PCM down conversion is set to "yes" since I have an optical cable connected, and Digital is set to "bitstream".

At the top of page 27 in the manual for the different Panasonic DVD players, it says the RV31, RV26, and RV21 don't have DTS decoders in them. Is the manual outdated in this respect?

4. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

The RV31 DVD only supports DTS, doesnt have a decoder built in. I have one I know. You have to have a reciever that has DD and DTS in the reciever to make the DVD do DTS. IF your reciever doesnt have DTS decoder inside then you wont get DTS out of the DVD.

5. SalMaglie

According to the Denon 1802 manual, and the Denon website, it has a DTS decoder DTS. I'm just wondering if I need to take the receiver back or what? Everything else with the receiver has worked fine up to this point. FWIW, I've also tried the Grinch That Stole Christmas DVD and I'm not getting any sound using that disc either when I try it in DTS mode.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have a Panasonic CV 51 (5 disc kin to your 31) and I'm pretty sure that I have it set to PCM down-conversion = NO. It has nothing to do with the optical, as far as I know. I am also using an optical cable.

You only need PCM downconversion if your receiver is only capable of 48 kHz. According to the Denon website, it say this about your 1802:

"24 bit, 96 kHz DACs • 24 bit, 96 kHz digital interface receiver • 24 bit, 96 kHz stereo PCM digital playback"

Your receiver should actually still work with a 48 kHz signal, but change it anyways as part of the trouble shooting since its not necessary to have it set to YES.

Try PCM down-conversion = NO. Its worth a shot.

7. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Sal, I think Chris hit the nail on the head. I just checked the set up on my RV31 and I have

PCM Downconversion set to "NO"

DD set to "Bitstream"

DTS set to "Bitstream"

D. Range compression set to "NO" (not sure that it matters here or not).

Give that a try and let us know if it works.

Nick

8. SalMaglie

I changed the PCM setting to "NO" and still no sound at all when using the DTS setting on the receiver. Something definitely isn't right because when selecting "DTS" using the input mode on the receiver, the "DTS signal" light on the receiver face next to the one for Dolby Digital doesn't come on. Only the "DTS input mode" light comes on. I've tried both ways to switch over to DTS, with the buttons on the face of the receiver and by using the remote, and I get the same no DTS signal light result using either way.

What are the chances of it being the optical cable? Could the problem even be the cable since everything works fine using Dolby Digital 5.1? Maybe the most likely source of the problem is the receiver? Are there anymore troubleshooting steps I can take at home?

Thanks for the help.

9. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon 1802. You might want to check, but I think the default setting for the digital inputs is coaxial for DVD. You might want to check the manual and make sure you have assigned the optical for the DVD setting. I use the auto select mode for dvd digital and it works everytime. If I select DTS from the dvd menu, the receiver automatically decodes and displays "DTS DVD" on the front display. The same for Dolby, when selected on the dvd the display will read "Dolby D DVD". With the Denon, I can always manually select DTS as an incoming digital signal, like PCM, but I wont hear anything if the receiver isn't getting the DTS signal. Just to be dure, check that you have assigned the correct optical input to the DVD mode. This will help narrow down the problem.

10. SalMaglie

Re-checked the connections and I definitely have the optical cable hooked up to opt cable input 1, and the display status corresponds with that when I hit the yellow DVD/VDP button on the remote. I'm thinking it probably isn't the cable since it works fine in Dolby Digital 5.1. The trouble is figuring out which component isn't doing DTS, the receiver or the DVD player. I've gone through all the connections, made sure everything was setup right numerous times in the menus, and still no DTS. I'll be returning the receiver unless I hear about something else that I've missed.