What's new

No Dream Theater on CBS! (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
From mikeportnoy.com
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm....74&p=1&tmode=1
"We regret to announce that Dream Theater have been forced to cancel the appearance on the CBS Morning show. The show was only able to provide us with a performing situation that would have been "musically compromising" and one which would have given an improper representation of the band and its music.
We're sorry to be disappointing any fans that were looking foward to the show, but to be honest we were hoping to not even make this possible appearance public until further information was provided to us first and unfortunately the information was prematurely leaked on Elektra's website. "
major bummer

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Not a bummer for me. They didn't want to compromise the quality of their music for national exposure. Good for them.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Yeah, God forbid they should get some mainstream exposure. :rolleyes
All I can think of is that they weren't going to be given enough time. This blows. DT is a band that deserves more attention than they get, and they refuse to do a national TV show because of "artistic compromise." It's just a TV show, guys. It's not like they're forcing you to do the 3-1/2 minute version of "About to Crash" for the remainder of your tour. It's like a commercial for your band, or a radio edit. (like the one for "Pull Me Under" and "Take the Time," remember?)
Save your artistic integrity for the album and the tour; the things that really LAST in musical history. Get some EARS on your music when you have the opportunity.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ange, you're making a big assumption, there. There could be many reasons for the canellation.

DT has been looking for mainstream attention- they made songs that were very radio friendly, videos, etc. I give them the benefit of the doubt- there must have been a damn good reason to cancel the appearance.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Not a fan of Dream Theater, but I expect the compromise CBS wanted them to make was due to time constraints. It isn't unusual for bands to play shorter versions of their songs on Letterman or Leno, and I expect that would certainly be the case in the morning. I caught the tail end of the Video Music Awards, and it seemed that Guns 'N Roses played a truncated version of "Welcome To the Jungle", likely to fit into the time slot. I don't see what the big deal is, especially since bands do shorter radio edits all the time.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
taken from a recent MP interview

"ER: I was reading that the CBS Morning Show appearance was cancelled. What happened with that?

Mike: Oh God. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill but basically they wanted us to do an "unplugged" performance and that's not what Dream Theater is about. So we decided it would have been a misrepresentation of the Dream Theater style and sound and what makes us unique so we decided to pass on it.

ER: Unplugged, I can't even believe that they would even ask you to do that.

Mike: Well you know whatever.(laughs)

ER: Whoever did that must not have had any clue.

Mike: I guess not. I guess whoever booked us on to begin with obviously was clueless but we thought we will continue to do things on our own terms and when they feel like coming around and re-inviting us then we will do it. "

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I just re-read my post above and I did make some pretty serious assumptions... Still, DT could play "Solitary Shell" unplugged if they wanted to. It seems a bit rigid for a band to be married to playing their song exactly the same as the album. Look at Joe Jackson, Peter Townshend, Peter Gabriel, and other old guys. JJ in particular never seems to play a song the same way for two tours in a row. I guess DT is pretty rigidly orchestrated, though.

Nathan A

Second Unit
i was bummed, too. woulda been cool to see them play.

did anyone check out the instrumental they played on their tour? i want them to come to my living room and play it again. at least once a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks