What's new

No DPL2 in Sony's New Low End Receivers - Mistake? (1 Viewer)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Although there are some of you out there that don't see the benefit of DPL2, I see it as a great marketing tool. And I'm surprised that Sony decided not to include it in their main line.
See the specs here.
Does anyone think Sony blew it?
... Greg
------------------
.... just me up on my pony on my boat.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I think so too. I listen to much more 2 channel based audio on a daily basis than 5.1. So IMO, leaving DPL II off is a mistake.
FWIW, I've got my name on my Denon dealer's 3802 list for one of the earliest arrivals. The item that tipped the scales for an upgrade from my 3300 is DPL II. I also have a DB Sony in another system but I won't consider replacing it with a new Sony until DPL II is on a new one.
------------------

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know why anyone would not put in DPLII!!! It can't be an expence. Can any industry people give us some input.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Yes. When the 3802 is out, I'm sure going to be itching at upgrading my 3300.
The 6.1 is not discrete either on the Sony's. Mind you, the low end Sony's aren't in the same league as the Denon 3300 or 3801/2.
From the information I've gotten, the 3802 has an even beefier power supply than the 3801, an upgraded DDSC circuit (Denon's patented circuitry), and further isolating of the video circuitry from the audio.
I hope that it all adds up to the 3802 getting back to the more warm sound of the 3300. I found the 3801 to have gotten "brighter", or I'd have a 3801 right now.
Anyway, it looks like the 3802 is THE receiver to have in the price range!
I wonder if you'll see DPL2 in the DB or ES line from Sony. Does anyone know?
------------------
.... just me up on my pony on my boat.

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield lists a DB 6.1. No DPL-II
the numbers of the DB DE may be getting mixed up by bad webmasters
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen any specs for the new Sony ES receivers but supposedly they will be due out in late August. DPL-II, and an improved volume control would be welcome features. Maybe throw in a speedier 2-way remote while there at it.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I just auditioned DPL2 for the first time today on an Itegra 6.2.
I wouldn't buy another receiver without it.
I caution anyone that if they are comparing it to DD/DTS discrete, they will be let down.
But, comparing it to ProLogic for 2 channel and ProLogic VHS tapes, DVDs (lots of old DVDs are coming out in 2 channel), and cable/sat movies, it is great!
Much wider sound stage. More spacious. And you can really tell that the rear sorrounds are full range and not cut off at 7khz like the old ProLogic.
I didn't try the music mode.
So, why Sony decided not to put it on their new low-end receivers is beyond me.
But, like my audio dealer said today, Sony very often marches to the beat of a different drum.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Sony butchered their new DE line.....
The high-end models (975 and 1075) no longer have 2-way remotes (remote has been replaced with a "block" with learning and macro keys). They also did away with A/B speaker switching on ALL models (this can be important for users who want to run speakers out on the patio without having to invest in a separate amp). Why??
The new STR-DE1075 has a discrete 6-ch. amplifier (complete with output for a rear center channel), but it appears on the specs of the receiver that the EX/ES decoders are still matrix. One very welcome addition though was that they did include dual 5.1-ch. inputs on the 1075, which is a godsend for those who need inputs for both DVD-A and SACD.
But it still doesn't seem just that Sony has chosen to overlook the simple things on their low-end models. You shouldn't have to step up to a DB or ES just to get them. I would have to agree that not including DPLII (which would really cost next to nothing to include) was a mistake on Sony's part.
------------------
[Edited last by Nicholas A. Gallegos on July 14, 2001 at 04:45 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks