Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg

No Down Payment Blu-ray Review
no-down-payment-poster.jpg

This expertly made drama from 1957 explores the darker sides of suburban life, from racism and sexism to unchecked consumerism, in surprisingly detailed ways. Though limited somewhat by the production code of the era, the film is remarkably honest and feels surprisingly fresh over sixty years after its original release.

[review]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd like to also give my thanks to Bob Furmanek for his wonderful page on black and white CinemaScope - an invaluable resource for double-checking my facts and for the Zanuck and Skouras quotes. If the technical details in my review were of interest, please stop by his page for an additional wealth of information:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/widescreen-in-black-and-white

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm really looking forward to the Twilight Time B&W CinemaScope pair No Down Payment and Blue Denim. B&W 'Scope is my favorite format. So many great films have been shot this way: The Diary of Anne Frank, The Longest Day, Hud, 36 Hours, In Harm's Way, and many others. Most CinemaScope films in Black & White were 2.35:1 and mono. There are very few that are 2.55:1. Since The Power and the Prize is a Warner Archive title I hope that they eventually put that one out on Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm really looking forward to the Twilight Time B&W CinemaScope pair No Down Payment and Blue Denim. B&W 'Scope is my favorite format. So many great films have been shot this way: The Diary of Anne Frank, The Longest Day, Hud, 36 Hours, In Harm's Way, and many others. Most CinemaScope films in Black & White were 2.35:1 and mono. There are very few that are 2.55:1. Since The Power and the Prize is a Warner Archive title I hope that they eventually put that one out on Blu-ray.
If you love black and white 'scope, you should watch the Blu-ray discs of Compulsion and Fate Is The Hunter. Two magnificent transfers which really show how good Cinemascope can be in black and white.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If you love black and white 'scope, you should watch the Blu-ray discs of Compulsion and Fate Is The Hunter. Two magnificent transfers which really show how good Cinemascope can be in black and white.
I've got 'em both. :) I went for the UK Blu-ray of Compulsion because it has 4.0 sound whereas Kino's was only 2.0.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I just purchased my copy of No Down Payment on Blu-ray just a little while ago. I once caught a showing of this movie on TCM and it was once on my DVR. I've always liked the ensemble cast films, especially the soapy ones. I'm anticipately awaiting my Blu-ray copy to arrive.

I've been in a Sheree North mood recently. I realize that might sound odd, especially since she might not really be the one people come to this movie to "see". But being the Marilyn Monroe fan that I am, I'm in the mood where I'm wanting to watch movies that the actress that 20th Century-Fox touted as "taking over from Monroe".

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I just purchased my copy of No Down Payment on Blu-ray just a little while ago. I once caught a showing of this movie on TCM and it was once on my DVR. I've always liked the ensemble cast films, especially the soapy ones. I'm anticipately awaiting my Blu-ray copy to arrive.

I've been in a Sheree North mood recently. I realize that might sound odd, especially since she might not really be the one people come to this movie to "see". But being the Marilyn Monroe fan that I am, I'm in the mood where I'm wanting to watch movies that the actress that 20th Century-Fox touted as "taking over from Monroe".

Good film, great blu ray. Many of us are still impatiently waiting for The Best Things in Life Are Free to be released.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Good film, great blu ray. Many of us are still impatiently waiting for The Best Things in Life Are Free to be released.
Oh goodness. I'd love to see THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE, HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR, THE WAY TO THE GOLD, and MARDI GRAS on Blu-ray.

Sheree North was in some good pictures, and they need their own representation on official Blu-ray.

Shoot, I'd settle for clean, remastered DVD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks