No Dolby Digital with Xbox! Help before I die!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Mansur, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

Ok I recently bought an Xbox. I also have a Kenwood vr-509 receiver which I am 110% sure has a built in DD decoder. Well I bought a Mad Catz Ultra AV Kit which has an S-video and Digital Optical outputs. I connected everything correctly to my receiver. I start up the Xbox and the picture comes, the sound comes also but its only in stereo! I have also been in the Xbox options and set my audio to "Dolby Surround"
    I can't even watch DVD's in surround sound! (i have the playback kit)
    Help! Not having Dolby Digital is making me depressed. I can't fall asleep.
    Here is the Ultra AV kit I have:
    http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/produ...roduct_id=4555

2. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

One more question for you guys. Those of you who have an Xbox and can have DD sound, are you using the official Mircrosoft Advanced AV Pack or a third party one such as Mad Catz one?

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Make sure that you have turned on the DD option in the audio setup on the X-box.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Make sure the receiver's input mode is set to "Auto Sound" Digital.

5. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

Ok, hope I can help a little more than just saying, "like turn on your Dolby dude." Well, actually that is what you need to check, like over and over again. After spending two weeks with my Xbox and new reciever I am still discovering options. I think I have it figured out now though. As far as the cable goes, I have the monster cable s-video with the adapter for the optical cable.

I haven't a clue as to the type you are using.

I guess I haven't been that much help after all. Oh well, best of luck to you.

6. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

Should the cable brand even matter? I don't have a name brand optical and s-video cable but I don't think that really matters because when I hook my DVD player up with those, I get full 5.1 surround sound.

Can someone answer my question? What AV Kit do you use? Microsoft's Advanced AV Kit?

7. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

You didn't mention wether you tried Jonathan's suggestion. You need to enable DD/DTS playback via the Xbox system menu. Go into audio settings and turn them on. This should do the trick.

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

9. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    If the XBox doesn't give you an option to turn Dolby Digital and DTS 'on' when you have an optical cable installed, SOMETHING isn't right. The XBox auto-detects the presence of the cable.

Mike

10. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Ok, heres a few tips:

Go into the Audio menu. It should say:

Audio Mode

Dolby Surround

Dolby Digital

Enabled

DTS

Enabled

What input are you running everything through on your receiver? DVD? Make sure you have selected the "optical" digital input in your receiver. There should be a menu for your receiver to select this, or a button on the receiver that selects which digital input you are using (optical 1,2, coaxial 1,2, etc...).

I originally had the optical cable setup but was trying to listen to the sound through VCR 1. I couldn't get DD5.1 with this setup, so I have to have the input on DVD, and switch the digital input. My DVD player uses the Coaxial 1 input and my Xbox uses the Optical input.

The type of cabling you use shouldn't affect it. Good luck!

11. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

OK guys I have found out what the problem was. When I go into my audio settings, the only 3 options I saw were Mono, Stereo, and Dolby Surround. I didnt have any option for DTS/DD.

Well I called Mad Catz tech support and they said many people had the same problem, no DD with their Ultra AV Kit. They said one of their factories shipped faulty cables. I told Mad Catz my address and they are going to send me a new cable. Good service.

Well, this goes to show what happens when you buy 3rd party hardware. I should have bought the microsoft Advanced AV kit, but it was sold out.