What's new

No Dobly Digital out with marantz sr4200 (1 Viewer)

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
HI,
I am newbie here in this forum. I need advice on my marantz sr4200. I brought it about 1 month ago after some research on web. I have no problem playing DVD in DTS mode. However, when a DVD is play in DD 5.1 or swithing to DD 5.1 from DTS, there isn't any audio output from the speakers. I tried at least 5 DVDs but the result is same. At first I thought it my speakers but it isn't because it is fine when i listen to tuner. I went throught speaker setup, manually tune the function nob at receiver to DD but no luck. I really couldn't figure it out why. There isn't much detailed info on manual. I tried going back to the shop but they aren't helpful either. Did I missed out certain steps/setting?
Also, I noticed that there is a huge difference in audio level output between DVD (-5 dB - 0 dB) , Audio CD(-25 dB), Tuner (-25 dB) to get equally loud of sound. Is it normally the case for a marantz amp?
My DVD player is Toshiba SD1300 connecting to Marantz via optical output.
Any informative help is appreciated. Thanks.
Thank you.:frowning: :frowning:

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
Hi John, thanks for your reply. Sorry for the late reply. All the three MUST have things were already configured for DD (in my case) playback.
And I have done the same things for DTS playback, it's perfectly fine like i posted earlier. Could that be my marantz faulty in decoding DD? How do I make sure before return it to the shop, help please?

But I still hope for a chance that I don't have to do that. It is just too cumbersome. Other than the MUST-have "s", did i missed out any other things?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops. I though you said you had a DTS problem. You have a DD problem. In which case, the next possiblity is more likely the DD setting for the DVD player. It should be set to bitstream rather than PCM for it to work correctly, though you should still get sound some kind of sound, stereo at least. If DTS is working, the gear is connected correctly.

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
I did set the audio setting in my dvd player to bitstream for optical out to my marantz. Like you said, if DTS is working then the conn. should be correct. I am very puzzled now what could have caused the no DD out. :frowning:
I wonder if the Toshiba sd1300 need a coaxial cable for DD output which shouldn't be the case, right? Anyway, I don't want to spend $$ on coaxial cable just to verify this. Anyone out there experienced this with Toshiba sd1300?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't need a true coax cable just to test it out, try any analog audio RCA cable. If that solves the problem, which I doubt, then I would pick up a coax cable.

You might want to try asking in the A/V sources forum regarding the 1300.

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
I haven't get the no DD out fixed yet. I will try with the RCA cable on coaxial , thanks John.
Btw, tried searching Toshiba sd-1300 on the A/V source forum but no harvest.

Another notable thing i observed. I set my marantz to auto mode for dvd playback, half way through the movie (Auto still ON) and I switched the dvd disc audio setting from DD to DTS or vice versa. My marantz unable to make the auto switching according to the selection made at the dvd. What I have to do is manually turn the surround knob to selected surround mode or press auto button on remote to activate the "Auto-detect" to function. I though auto means the amp will recognise the switch and syn. with the mode automatically. Am I expecting too much on this entry-level receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think you are expecting too much at all, and it definitely sounds like something is wrong. My 6200 has no problem detecting any format when in auto detect.

Most of the time when in auto, mine is able to pick up a DD to DTS switch, or vice versa, but once in a while it does not, usually when going from DTS to DD.

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
I tried with RCA cable on coaxial last night.
Still No DD out but DTS is working fine. I even went extra miles to try all the 4 digital out ie. Dig 1 & 2 (optical) with optical and Dig 3 & 4 (coaxial) with RCA, same result observed. With this and the pseudo "auto" function, should I conclude that my marantz is the culprit?

I need to be very sure of this before return it back to the shop b'cos it is quite a long way travel.

GarrickWoi

Auditioning
I am back. John, you were right. It was the 4200 was the culprit.

I sent the unit to marantz customer service in my location, they verified that the unit was faulty. I got a new unit exchanged for the problem one. So far so good, no problem with the previous mentioned problems. But, I do noticed there is a little humming sound though not obvious with naked ears.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I just bought the 4200 and I love it. I hope the problem isn't wide spread. I was just wondering what you paid for yours. I paid 300, and I hope I didn't pay too high of a price. But the guy at Audio Junction said it was on sole so I took his word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks