No Dialog with Optical cable from DVD to Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adam Dub, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Adam Dub

Adam Dub Auditioning

I first hooked up my system (pioneer dvd and amp) with the dvd audio connected via an optical digital cable. I watched I Robot and could not get dialog - only music and sound effects. Like the front speakers werent working except i had music coming out of them too.

I hooked up the analog 5.1 connections and that fixed the problem. However i want to use my analog 5.1 connections to hook up to the computer.

So - do alot of movies require analog 5.1 connections? Cause I Robot seemed to. I wish i could only use the digital cable to free up the analog inputs. Was that sound issue with I Robot an anamoly, or is that common?

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Certainly does not on mine. I only use optical cable for all my source inputs.

Make sure your DVD player is set to output bitsream and PCM. Make sure you also selected the right track on the DVD.
    Also make sure your receiver has the optical input setup correctly (if it is assignable).
    ind of a strange problem with just music and no dialouge. leads me to believe it could have been a track selection problem.

3. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

What Mikey said - check your bitstream settings, etc. output from the player. Also, check your setup between the two. Make sure your center speaker didn't somehow get set to "No" (since much/most dialog comes from there that could be another highly likely candidate).

We run the DVD players in both rooms through opticals and have never had this "feature" unless a speaker was somehow set wrong in setup. Since you got all 5 channels w/ the analog connection there are 5 channels present in the source ('cause the DVD DAC found 'em all), that does make it seem like your receiver setup may have gotten unset???

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no way for a DVD movie to "force" you to use analog, so it is a setting in your player or receiver. Do other movies do the same thing? IRobot works fine via digital in my system.

Dialog is usually in the center channel. Did you check to see if you have the center turned on in your speaker setup menu, and hooked up correctly?

5. Adam Dub

Adam Dub Auditioning

that was a rental movie that i took back, i cant check it now. everything seems to work with other movies. thanks for the help, i'll give it some time.